[IrelandVIPNews] Re: Axeing Of Directory Enquiries Service

  • From: "Ed Harper" <goat@xxxxxx>
  • To: <irelandvipnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 21:25:37 +0100

Hi Maria,

I entirely agree with you.   I have sent an email to Comreg.   The reasoning
which says that it isn't fair for eircom to be under an obligation to
provide a free directory service when no one else does can't be faulted, but
the removal of the service is not the answer.   How about a central service
to which all telecom companies must contribute, or each one must provide an
equivalent free service to us.   I presume the reason that they want to
provide this service at all is that they make buckets of money by offering
to connect people when they find them the number and that connection is
expensive.   If this service is profitable, and there really aren't that
many of us, then they either should be prepared to include the cost of the
service to us in their costings for the service, or should receive a subsidy
for providing it, a la the free travel pass.

I would favour a centralised service for information and if people prefer a
service which connects them to a number they don't know then they should
have that choice.   I can't help thinking that the telecoms companies are
trading on the fact that people in general  may not realise that they will
be charged over the odds for a connection through this service.

Ed-----Original Message-----