[ipsl] Query: M.Phil Thesis on Depiction of Deaf

  • From: Theda Oldewurtel <Theda.Oldewurtel@xxxxxx>
  • To: ipsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 11:19:43 +0200

Dear IPSL-mailinglist members

I am a M.Phil student at the Department of Indian and Tibetan Studies at Hamburg
university, Germany, with Prof. Tatiana Oranskaia. Additionally I am studying
at the
Institute of German Sign Language and Communication of the Deaf with Prof.
Renate Fischer.

For my M.Phil thesis I am planning on writing a critical analysis about the
depiction of
the Deaf community and Indian Sign Language in the Indian written press.
For this paper I am searching for articles (scientific as well as journalistic;
English
as well as Hindi) concerning Deaf in India in every way.

In detail my questions are:

1. Can anybody help me with hints on scientific literature - in Hindi language
and/or English - which would be interesting for my thesis?

2. Concerning my search for articles:
Is there a database for articles about Deaf  - and circumference - in written
Indian press?
Does anybody have a private collections of articles maybe?
Or loose longer articles concerning Deaf?
Is there from your perspective a paper in India which has a bigger coverage
than others about Deaf?

3. I am in special need of Hindi sources concerning my intention as I have to
use such for my thesis and they are not so easy to find for me. Every clue
would be thankfully accepted!

At first thank you for taking the time to read my request. I would highly
appreciate any advice!

Besides collecting material for my thesis I hope my request will also help to
start a discussion about the public  representation of Deaf in modern India.

IŽm looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Yours sincerely

Theda Oldewurtel
(Student, Hamburg University)