[IOTAList] Re: Seeking dogs for Case Studies in Exchange for Free Training Sessions

  • From: Wayne & Harley <k9dad@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: iotalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 21:50:19 -0500

*Hello Shanna,
I cannot point any dogs your way, but if you have questions, or would like imput from some of us that are not light dependent who have bonded with and trained our Service Dogs. Just say the word!

Wayne And Harley D
*On 4/22/2017 8:00 AM, Shanna Stichler wrote:

Hello all,

Diamond and I have been quite busy, since I recently started a job as a Linguist with the federal government. It unfortunately has nothing to do with dog training, but it's interesting and keeps me challenged. Also, I get to put my PHD to good use, which helps me feel better about the student loans I've acquired over the years.

Anyway, I sort of played with the idea of writing a book early in 2016, but never took it very far. I want to write in-depth about how to form connections with our canine partners via non-visual means. I think that people rely so much on vision to train that it becomes almost a crutch, both for the dog and the handler.

My problem is that I need to work with a few dogs that have minimal training on them to use as case studies. Diamond wouldn't be ideal for this because, well, she's trained and already is strongly bonded to me. Even dogs with training that are new to me would work fine, if I can find any.

If anyone knows of a breeder or rescue who would be willing to foster out dogs for 6 to 12 weeks, depending on the dog, or if anyone on this list would like free board and train for a dog, I'd appreciate some leads. I'm willing to work the dog for no charge, and I use balanced training methods. All I ask is that owner pays for transportation to me. I have a good ground transporter I can arrange, so no airline shipping is necessary.

I can provide references upon request. I will of course check with local rescues, but since I know many of you on this list, I thought I'd give you all first crack at this. I rarely offer free training, but since I am needing dogs to use for the book I want to write, I am willing to do so for a short period of time.

Take care,

Shanna Stichler, PHD, GDMI, IACP #7565

and Diamond v Heulenluft, CGCA, CDX, APR1, Working Guide Dog for the Blind.

---