[interphen] Symposium on Public Health and Political Philosophy, Keele University, June 17th.

  • From: Angus Dawson <a.j.dawson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: InterPHEN <INTERPHEN@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 19:51:51 +0100

We are happy to announce a symposium on Public Health and Political Philosophy
hosted by the Centre for Professional Ethics at Keele and funded by the
Wellcome Trust.

The symposium will run from 10 - 5 on the 17th of June and is at Keele
University. (Directions to Keele can be found here:
http://www.keele-conference.com/21/directions )

Public health raises issues that are familiar in political philosophy, such as
when is it permissible for the state to force people to do something either for
their or others good, how we ought to distribute scarce resources, decision
making in situations of fundamental uncertainty and the limits of common moral
concepts such as responsibilities in the face of disasters.

The focus of the symposium will be on topics in public health where ideas from
political philosophy are relevant. We are particularly interested in the
interplay between public health ethics and political philosophy, and what these
two areas can learn from each other.

Speakers include:
Dr James Wilson, UCL
Dr Martin O'Neill, York
Dr Simon Clark, Nottingham
Dr Stephen John, Cambridge
Mr Adrian Viens, Queen Mary

Attendance is free however places are strictly limited so please contact David
Hunter at d.hunter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to book a place.

There will be a limited number of travel subsidies up to the value of £50
available for students who wish to attend the workshop available on a first
come, first served basis please indicate if you would like to be considered for
such a bursary when you book your place.

Thanks
Dr David Hunter
Lecturer in Ethics
Centre for Professional Ethics