Sept 2002 Computer IT Education & Training Newsletter

  • From: scott_turton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: intelinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 02 Sep 2002 19:03:01 -0500

         Newsletter for Computer IT Education,
             Training & Tutorial Resources

           *** ISSUE #25 - September 2002 ***

               http://www.intelligentedu.com/

     This Newsletter is only sent to its subscribers and
     is available in early October, 2002 on the web at
     http://www.intelligentedu.com/newsletter25.html

     Newsletter Archives are here:
     http://www.intelligentedu.com/newsletter.html

     Subscribe and unsubscribe instructions are at the end.

     Please forward this newsletter to all your friends
     and associates who might be interested!

In This Issue:

1)... Editor's Greeting

2)... The Best New Free I.T. Training & Tutorial Sites

3)... New Free I.T. Books & Book Sites

4)... University Computer Science Course Sites

5)... The Best Suggested Sites from Website Users

6)... New I.T. Training & Tutorial Link Sites

7)... New Desktop and Office Application Training Sites

8)... I.T. Sites Worth Mentioning

9)... Frequently Asked Questions about Technical Training

10)... Please Support Our Computer Training Mission

1) Editor's Greeting:

Hello, everyone and welcome to our new subscribers! I apologize
for the 'meeting notice' email that went out on 7/30/02 - I am
sorry, it will not happen again, and I've secured access to the
list for this newsletter.

This is the 25th issue of our free monthly email newsletter for
Computer IT Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources, giving you
the latest Free online IT Training Resources that we have
recently discovered and researched. This newsletter is free to
anyone subscribing (instructions at bottom, no username/password
is needed). To access our member site, however, you do need a
user name and password - registering as a member of Intelligentedu.com
costs $10 for six months, for more information please see below
'Become a Member of Intelligentedu.com'.

My desire is that these free resources will help you with your
computer education and training and are tools to advance your IT
career. Our main mission is the training of those less fortunate
who are seeking to become computer literate, both technically and
from a user's perspective.

In this issue we describe and link to a total of 68 computer, IT
and programming learning and tutorial web sites. By means of this
email newsletter, you have knowledge of and access to these sites
before our web site visitors do.

*** Current News ***

Here are our latest free training pages for newsletter
subscribers and site members only:

Free Knowledge Management:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/it_training_materials_and_books/free_knowledge_management_training_materials.html

QuickBooks:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/it_training_materials_and_books/free_quickbooks_training_materials.html

Microsoft Publisher:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/it_training_materials_and_books/free_microsoft_publisher_training_materials.html

I'd like to personally wish you the best with your computer
studies and learning.

Warm Regards,
Scott Turton
Newsletter Editor and Webmaster
scott_turton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.intelligentedu.com/

Please Visit One of Our Sponsors and request more information:

University of Phoenix Online: Advance your career:
http://pontly.com/clk/aftauserafthepausulde

DeVry: Online degrees for working adults?
http://iashel.com/clk/guntuanglangan

ITT Technical Institute: Choose from their many programs:
http://ipodra.com/clk/kaitanyunnuodiao

American InterContinental University Online:
http://didtal.com/clk/baizhuankanliumei

University Alliance Schools:
http://elilip.com/clk/tuonongzangtuzhuai

Regis University Online (MBA Programs):
http://ilatpa.com/clk/ersolfmermanabung

American College of Computer & Information Sciences:
Get the degree you need to advance your career...online at your
convenience
http://wesac.com/clk/solfglurtmataftatz

Saint Leo University Online:
Accelerated Online Degree Programs: Business and Accounting,
Computer Information, Criminal Justice, Liberal Arts.
http://gartum.com/clk/yadenibonkiryudaibon

*** Become a Member of Intelligentedu.com ***

Our Members' Site contains the web's best computer and IT
training resources and tutorials. This content is individually
linked and presented in a way to expedite and facilitate your IT
learning experience. We have done all the web research and
presentation work for you so you can concentrate solely on your
computer training. For a short FAQ, please see the end of this
newsletter.

The total price to join as a member is only $10 total for 6
months. The funds generated will assist us to help all those
seeking IT education and application development training. Here's
the link to see what's available on our member's site and to sign
up: http://www.intelligentedu.com/sign-up/index.html

*** Free IT Training Materials and Books ***
This section of our site contains over 2,000 free IT, computer
and programming training resource links:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/free_it_training_materials_and_books.html

*** Our Newly Researched Free Online Computer Training ***
Containing over 12,000 free IT training and tutorial resources,
this section of our site is available only to our newsletter
subscribers and web site members:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/newly_researched_free_training.html

*** Free e-Book: "Understanding Computer Security" ***
Our new e-book contains the best information from U.S. government
agency computer security papers and guides and presents it in a
coherent and understandable manner. My hope is that this e-book
will make computer security easier to learn. Click here to
receive your Free Copy:
http://intelinfo.hypermart.net/Understanding_Computer_Security.zip
(553 kb). When unzipped it is a windows executable.

2)  The Best New Free I.T. Training & Tutorial Sites:

This section of our newsletter contains the best new free IT
training and tutorial sites that we have found and researched in
the last few weeks. These resources will be added to our Free IT
Training & Courses page at http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat1.html,
our Free IT Tutorials and Guides page at
http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat2.html, or to our members' site.

iCanProgram.com:
http://www.icanprogram.com

By using the Internet and some freely available programming tools
this site delivers four facilitated online computer programming
courses that are now Free: Introduction to Linux Programming,
Linux Programming the SIMPL way, Introduction to GUI Programming
with Tcl/Tk, Beginner Programming, Network Programming the SIMPL
way (coming soon). Courses start every month on demand and each
week a new lesson is posted and online for 8 weeks.

Learn Express:
http://www.learnxpress.com/

This site hosts free online learning modules for Java, C#, ASP,
and other subjects.

KBCafe.com:
http://www.kbcafe.com/

Programming tutorials, articles and code for C#, SOAP, COM+,
Internet Programming, Win32 Programming, and C++.

A Component Engineering Cornucopia:
http://my.execpc.com/~gopalan/index.html

Study and learn about COM, ActiveX, OLE, COM+, CORBA, JDO, PE:J,
Visual C++, MFC, Java and related technologies, Java Data
Objects, JavaBeans, JFC, EJB, WFC, InfoBus, Enterprise, Jini,
Design Patterns, Microsoft Transaction Server, C#, JDO, Java Data
Objects.

Introduction to GNU-Linux Course:
http://seul.org/edu/linux-intro/

This is an 81 page Linux course you can download in several
formats. This page has been set up as the primary distribution
point for this and (soon to be) many other courses based in the
instruction of Linux

Getting Started With Linux:
http://www.linux.org/lessons/page.cgi?PageID=14

If you're new to Linux and want to find out how to use the
fastest growing operating system today, all you have to do is
take our beginner's course and you'll be ready to go.

Linux HOWTO Help Documents from LinuxOrbit:
http://www.linuxorbit.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=listarticles&secid=2

These are their updated howtos:

Security Quick-Start HOWTO for Linux:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Security-Quickstart-HOWTO/

Security Quick-Start HOWTO for Redhat Linux:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Security-Quickstart-Redhat-HOWTO/

Speech Recognition HOWTO:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Speech-Recognition-HOWTO/

The Linux Installation HOWTO:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Installation-HOWTO/

Linux Optimization and Fine Tuning:
http://www.linuxjournal.com//article.php?sid=5886

Linux Journal shows how to optimize a Linux machine by tweaking
the kernel, services, compile options, and window system.

The Sun ONE Studio 4, Community Edition Bundle:
http://suned.sun.com/US/catalog/courses/WFB-100-180.html

This free course provides students with a collection of four web
based training courses which introduce the features and benefits
of the Sun Open Net Environment (ONE) Studio development tool for
Java technology developers and program managers. Here are more
free training and learning resources from Sun:

Sun ONE Studio Developer Resources:
http://forte.sun.com/ffj/index.html
Offers technical articles, forums, support, bug tracking,
downloads, and documentation for Sun ONE Studio.

Sun ONE Technical Webcasts:
http://wwws.sun.com/software/training/webcasts/ondemand.html
http://wwws.sun.com/software/training/webcasts/index.html

Sun Technology Audiocasts:
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/webcasts/

Tutorials and Short Courses:
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/

Architectural Design Seminars for Developers:
http://www.on24.com/clients/sun/seminar_2001/

General Site for developers:
http://www.sun.com/developers/

The Humble Programmer:
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/ewd03xx/EWD340.PDF

Edsger W. Dijkstra passed away on August 7, 2002. Mr. Dijkstra
was the source of much wisdom in Computer Science, and we are all
in his debt. Much of what we now take for granted (i.e. the
semaphores in the Linux kernel) is rooted in his work. The Humble
Programmer was Dijkstra's 1972 Turing Award lecture; it can be
obtained as a difficult to read PDF file. his obituary is here:
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/UTCS/notices/dijkstra/ewdobit.html.
Dijkstra was a prodigious writer. His entire collection of over
thirteen hundred written works was digitally scanned and is
accessible at http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD.

Teracom Free Online Resources:
http://www.teracomtraining.com/menu-tutorials-newsletters-quiz.htm

Free on-line training tutorials on telecom, data communications,
IP and networking fundamentals.

Online Tutorials: Technology:
http://rmis.com/db/tutortec.htm

Online training modules on Internet technology such as firewalls,
intranets, HTML coding and more.

Tcl Tutorials:
http://resource.tcl.tk/resource/doc/start/

Tcl How To Guides:
http://tcl.activestate.com/doc/howto/

Basics of Online Relational Database Development with PHP 4 and
MysQL 3.23:
http://code.box.sk/newsread.php?newsid=207
- This article assumes the reader has working knowledge of SQL
and PHP4.

Python for Newbies:
http://code.box.sk/newsread.php?newsid=211
- Python is, in short, a scripting language, similar in function
to Perl. It is a very high-level language that can perform
complex tasks, but is surprisingly easy to learn. Many different
add-ons (modules) are available to control everything from MP3s
to windowing toolkits (Unix)

ChinaITCertify.com:
http://www.chinaitcertify.com/en/index.html

This site gives you free demos for various IT certification
exams, free 200+ real MCSE exam questions, and free online
certification resources.

Digital Director: Digital Video Editing:
http://www.marcpeters.co.uk/index.html

A series of guides for the amateur videographer. From video
capture to final production. Includes all the tools needed for
successful video editing

Faculty Multimedia Center Tutorials:
http://cac.psu.edu/fmc/tutorials.html

These are online tutorials covering multimedia, audio-video, web
presentations, image scanning and Flash.

3D Cafes's Free Tutorials:
http://www.3dcafe.com/asp/tutorial.asp

A great website for Computer Graphic Artists, covering 3D Studio
Max, Animation Master, AutoCAD, Bryce 3D, Flash, HTML, Java,
Lightwave 3D, Maya, Photoshop, Poser, Raydream Studio, Rhino 3D,
Softimage 3D, Truespace, and VRML.

Shortcourses in Digital Photography:
http://www.shortcourses.com/

The complete guide to digital cameras, digital photography, and
digital video. The digital photography resource.

VIAHardware Dot Com:
http://www.viahardware.com

This is a computer hardware resource site with many useful facts
and figures to help you solve hardware-related problems.  From
how to install a new power supply to replacing and configuring a
new CPU, and everything in between.

Devhood.com:

.Net Framework Training Modules:
http://www.devhood.com/training_modules/

Tutorials:
http://www.devhood.com/tutorials/

Jim Miller's Web Services and Common Language Runtime
Presentation:
http://www.devhood.com/presentations/

A Tutorial for Disk Defragmentation for Windows NT/2000/XP:
http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/whitepapers/defrag_tutorial.pdf

This free technical white paper shows you what you don't know
about disk defrag can hurt you.

.Net Frequently Asked Questions:
http://www.andymcm.com/dotnetfaq.htm
Very good fundamental information about the new Microsoft
technology, .NET.

C# Frequently Asked Questions for C++ programmers:
http://www.andymcm.com/dotnetfaq.htm
This FAQ addresses many of the basic questions that C++
developers have when they first come across C#.

Object Oriented C# for ASP.NET Developers:
http://www.webmasterbase.com/printTemplate.php?aid=853

This tutorial introduces the OOP features of C# as they apply to
ASP.NET Web development. This article is the third in a series on
ASP.NET. If you're new to ASP.NET Web development and haven't
read the two previous articles, check out Getting Started with
ASP.NET <http://webmasterbase.com/printTemplate.php?aid=781> and
ASP.NET Form Processing Basics
<http://webmasterbase.com/printTemplate.php?aid=815>.

3) New Free Computer IT Books, Publications & Book Sites

Some of these web resources will be added to our Free IT Books
page at http://www.intelligentedu.com/free_computer_books.html and
some will be added to our members site.

Free Book Chapters:

FreeVBCode.com:
http://www.freevbcode.com/AdvancedSearch.asp
22 Free Book Chapters available: do a search for "chapter"

PerfectXML.com - Free Library: Sybex Books:
http://www.perfectxml.com/sybex/books.asp
Free Book Chapters on ADO.Net, ASP.Net, SOAP, XML Schema, DOM,
WAP & WML, VB.Net.

123aspx.com:
http://www.123aspx.com/directory.aspx?dir=187
61 Free Book Chapters covering the latest Microsoft technologies.

Sams New Releases:
http://sams.informit.com/catalog/new_releases.asp
3 Free Book Chapters:
- Working With Objects from Sams Teach Yourself Java 2 in 21 Days
- Using Visual Basic.NET and C# from Sams Teach Yourself ASP.NET
in 21 Days
- Deploying Your Systems from Unix System Management Primer Plus

Sams Publishing's Open Source Books:
http://www.samspublishing.com/promotions/promotions.asp?st={92D127FB-C92E-4AB3-BE58-6505579615EF}
Free Book Chapters on JavaScript, Mod_perl, Perl, PostgreSQL, PHP
and Python.

Sams Publishing's Microsoft .NET Books:
http://www.samspublishing.com/dotnet_home/sampler/index.asp
Free Book Chapters on .Net and .Com, C#, Visual Basic .Net,
ASP.Net and BizTalk.

Free Book Chapter: Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) from
Building Web Services with Java:
http://www.samspublishing.com/catalog/article.asp?product_id={36AB25DC-392B-452C-90D9-C4F4E44634FB}

Free Book Chapters from Microsoft Press:
http://search.microsoft.com/us/products/mspress/default.asp?SearchString=sample&x=14&y=17
10 search results pages containing free book chapters - click on
the 'Sample Chapter' links.

Visual Basic Internet Programming - Books:
http://www.vbip.com/resources/books/default.asp
Free Book Chapters are available for several books, including
these: Beginning SQL Server 2000 for Visual Basic Developers,
Beginning Visual Basic 6 Application Development, Beginning
Visual Basic 6 Objects, Beginning Visual Basic SQL Server 7,
VB.NET Programming with the Public Beta, Introducing .NET,
Beginning SQL Server 2000 for Visual Basic Developers, Visual
Basic 6.0 Business Objects, VB COM: Visual Basic 6 Programmer's
Introduction to COM, Enterprise Application Architecture with VB,
ASP, MTS, Beginning XML, Professional ASP Data Access,
Professional Visual Basic 6 Web Programming, Professional Visual
Basic 6 XML, Beginning E-Commerce with Visual Basic, ASP, SQL
Server 7.0 and MTS.

New Free Book Chapters from Osborne:

Introducing XML Web Services and .Net Framework (48 pages):
http://www.osborne.com/products/0072223693/0072223693_ch01.pdf

Basic ASP.Net Page Issues (14 pages):
http://www.osborne.com/products/0072225149/0072225149_ch01.pdf

Laying Your Visual Basic .Net Foundation (64 pages):
http://www.osborne.com/products/0072223189/0072223189_ch01.pdf

The Basics of JDBC Programming (52 pages):
http://www.osborne.com/products/0072222549/0072222549_ch01.pdf

Overview of Oracle Databases (50 pages):
http://www.osborne.com/products/007222536X/007222536X_ch01.pdf

Oracle9i DBA 101:
http://www.osborne.com/products/0072224746/0072224746_ch01.pdf

Oracle9i Mobil:
http://www.osborne.com/products/007222455X/007222455X_ch01.pdf

O'Reilly New and Upcoming Book List:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/new.html

Most of these new books from O'Reilly have a free chapter
available online, here are some: Perl for Oracle DBAs, Dynamic
HTML: The Definitive Reference, 2nd Ed., Essential System
Administration, 3rd Ed., HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide, 5th
Ed., Information Architecture for the World Wide Web, 2nd Ed.,
JavaServer Pages, 2nd Ed., XPath and XPointer, and XSL-FO: Making
XML Look Good in Print. Also check out O'Reilly Book Excerpts
here: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/q/excerpts

AllFreeTech - E-Books:
http://www.allfreetech.com/EBookCategory.asp

You can access for free 102 full-text books in this E-Books
library, including illustrations and graphics. They have 62
programming books, 20 operating system books, and 10 application
books. Free registration is required (or use 'intelinfo' and
'password').

Books:
http://www.cec.uchile.cl/~lindsey/tutorial.htm

Download 87 free books in several IT and programming subjects,
including Networking, JavaScript, Perl, Linux and Unix.

Argus: Top:
http://argus.irb.hr/bk2site/

This site contains books and documentation for these topics:
Applications & Libraries (32), C/C++ (13), Java (4), Javascript
(3), Linux (12),  Lisp (4), Perl (5), Postscript (1), Unix (3),
Math (9), Unix (13), WWW (38), and others.

Library.N0i.Net:
http://library.n0i.net/

Books and documents covering these subjects: Security, Games,
Graphics, Hardware, Internet, Linux-Unix, Networking and
Programming.

Index of /public/Docs:
http://www.et.utt.ro/public/Docs/

Over 150 IT and programming online books and documents, many of
these were on itknowledge.com.

Documentation:
http://www.usv.ro/docm/
http://www.eed.usv.ro/misc/doc/

Freely accessible books and guides covering Databases,
Programming, DTP& Animation, Hardware, Internet, Java, Netware,
Networking, Nt, Office & Windows, Unix, and Php.

Free Documents:
http://cygnus.ee.its-sby.edu/docs/

These documents cover Apache, Linux, Squid, HTML, JavaScript,
Networking, Perl, PHP, MySQL, Oracle, Java, Tcl.

Books from Apocalypse Online Security:

18 Linux and Unix Books:
http://www.apocalypseonline.com/security/text/unix/unix_books.asp

17 Rainbow Security Books:
http://www.apocalypseonline.com/security/text/rainbow/rainbow.asp

33 Miscellaneous Documents:
http://www.apocalypseonline.com/security/text/misc_text.asp

Index of /books/compsci/Language Guides:
http://smaug.uchicago.edu/books/compsci/
http://smaug.uchicago.edu/books/compsci/Language%20Guides/

Books and guides covering Alogorithms, System Design, Networking,
Firewalls, Operating Systems, Flash, Photoshop, Assembly, C++,
DHTML, Java, Lisp, OpenGL and Perl. More IT books are here:
http://smaug.uchicago.edu/books/unsorted_incomplete/.

Electronic Library:
http://www.paularking.com/ebooks/

61 online e-books on these subjects: Adobe Illustrator, Adobe
Photoshop, C/C++, CGI Programming, HTML, Java, JavaScript,
Frontpage, Microsoft Visual Studio, Microsoft Windows 95/98/NT,
Networking/TCP/IP, Perl, SQL, Unix and Visual Basic.

Oracle9i Database Documentation:
http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle9i/content.html

Free online Oracle9i books and manuals from Oracle (registration
required).

Here are 2 more:

Oracle8i Database Documentation:
http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/content.html

Oracle8 Database Documentation:
http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8/content.html

Java Look and Feel Design Guidelines, 2nd Edition:
http://java.sun.com/products/jlf/ed2/book/index.html

This free book provides essential information for anyone involved
in creating cross-platform GUI (graphical user interface)
applications and applets in Java. In particular, this book offers
design guidelines for software that uses the Swing classes
together with the Java look and feel.

Dive Into Python:
http://diveintopython.org/

This is a free Python book for experienced programmers.

Non-Programmers Tutorial For Python:
http://rupert.honors.montana.edu/~jjc/easytut/easytut/

This book is if you've never programmed before. It will attempt
to teach you how to program. To learn to program you must read
code and write code, and this book helps you do that.

Beginners CGI 1.0:
http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/59876.shtml

This is a Perl tutorial ebook, written for the novice and totally
free. This book will teach you how to start programming from the
beginning. (922Kb)

Squid, A User's Guide:
http://squid-docs.sourceforge.net/latest/html/book1.htm

Squid is a free, high-speed, Internet proxy-caching program

Getting Started with Microsoft SQL Server Books Online:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/startsql/getstart_4fht.asp

Use this page for quick access to all the free online
documentation for Microsoft SQL Server 2000. Find documentation
resources for SQL Server here:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/productdoc/2000/default.asp

4) University Computer Science Course Sites
   Free to Browse and Study:

These web sites will be added to our Free University IT Course
Webs page at
http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat3.html

Courses at ArsDigita University:
http://aduni.org/courses/

ADUni is a non-profit corporation established by the alumni of
ArsDigita University to continue the school's mission of
providing the world's best computer science education for free.
This site provides IT educational resources, including free video
lectures and problem sets. Here are the courses:

Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs:
http://aduni.org/courses/sicp/

How Computers Work:
http://aduni.org/courses/how_computers_work/

Object-oriented Program Design:
http://aduni.org/courses/java/

Algorithms:
http://aduni.org/courses/algorithms/

Systems:
http://aduni.org/courses/systems/

Web Applications:
http://aduni.org/courses/web_applications/

Theory of Computation:
http://aduni.org/courses/theory_of_computation/

Artificial Intelligence:
http://aduni.org/courses/ai/

Unix Workshop:
http://aduni.org/courses/unix/

Database Management Systems:
http://aduni.org/courses/databases/

R870: Unix System Administration -A Survival Course:
http://www.washington.edu/R870/

These are the notes, in HTML format, of a Unix System
Administration course taught at the University of Washington.

5) The Best Suggested Sites from our Website Users - Every month
we feature the best suggested IT training and tutorial sites from
our website visitors. Here are this month's sites:

Java 3D Tutorial:
http://www.java3d.org/tutorial/

Java 3D is an addition to Java for displaying three-dimensional
graphics. This tutorial is an introduction to Java 3D. Examples
lead you through the basic methods for producing 3D images and
animation.

JavaScript:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kayseycarvey/

These Javascript tutorials are intended to get beginners up and
running with the language.

Pitchmark Ltd, UK Homepage:
http://www.pitchmark-ltd.co.uk/

Free stuff covering Oracle, Java, Project Management, JavaScript
and Unix

6) New Computer & IT Training & Tutorial Link & Resource Sites:

These web sites will be added to our IT Links and Resources page
at http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat6.html

800 Linux Links:
http://www.mysteries-megasite.com/linux/linux.html

Be sure to check out the section "Programming and Tutorial
Links", covering many good subject areas, including....

howtos.nl:
http://www.howtos.nl/

Links to online how-tos for several popular IT and programming
subjects, such as C++, Linux, Photoshop, HTML, Cisco, Perl, Java
and PHP.

Programmers' Heaven:
http://www.sourcecode.nu/default.htm

For free C++, Visual Basic, ASP, sourcecode, programming,
JavaScript, Delphi, Pascal and more.

Data Structures and Algorithms: Resources:
http://grace.evergreen.edu/~jackyj/dsa/dsa-online.html#online

Some very good free learning resources are in this section titled
"Online tutorials, code, animations, etc."

7) New Desktop and Office Application Training Sites:

These web sites will be added to of Free Office and Desktop
Training page at http://www.intelligentedu.com/office.html . Also,
check out our expanded MS Office 2000 Free Training page here:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/office_2000.html

Office 2000 Viewlet Tutorials:
http://aitt.acadiau.ca/tutorials/Office2000/homepage.html

This website is designed to help students with a number of Office
2000 products through Viewlets that take you through the step by
step instructions of each task.

Tutorials:
http://www.bunburydeo.wa.edu.au/tech_works/tutorials/tutorials.htm

MS Office Tutorials in PDF Format for Word 97, Publisher 98 and
2000, PowerPoint 97 and 2000, PowerPoint 2000, FrontPage 98 and
2000, Excel and Graphics.

Microsoft Office 2000 Tutorial:
http://www.bcschools.net/staff/MicrosoftOffice.htm

This site has straight-forward tutorials for Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, Access and Publisher.

Excel 2000 Quick Reference Card:
http://www.quickreferencecard.com/CardsNonPrint/Excel2000%20QP.pdf

FrontPage 2002 Quick Reference Card:
http://www.quickreferencecard.com/CardsNonPrint/FrontPageXPQP.pdf

Microsoft Office Tutorial from Techtutorials.com:
http://www.techtutorials.com/Applications/Microsoft_Office/

This site has links to tutorials covering Excel (21), MS Access
(22), Microsoft Word (13), PowerPoint (6) and Publisher (2.

MS Project 2000 Tutorial:
http://www.stylusinc.net/ms_project_tutorial/project_management.shtml

This is an excellent 5 lesson tutorial on how to use this
important project management tool.

8) I.T. Sites Worth Mentioning:

Computer Security Test Sites:
http://lists.gpick.com/pages/Security_Test_Sites.htm

This site features a comprehensive set of links to other web
sites that allow you to test the security of your computer. These
web security resources will assist you in getting an in-depth
security analysis of your computers. Their 'List of List' home
page <http://lists.gpick.com/> features 74 categories, each with
many well-researched links.

2002 Salary Calculator:
http://nww1.com/go/ad324.html

How is your earning potential in the current IT market? Find out
with Network World's 2002 Salary Calculator. It has been updated
to reflect the results of the Network World 2002 Salary Survey.
Find out if you earn as much as your peers.

New Release: "101 Essential Domain Name Resources":
http://www.domainguru.com/article/377

Domain Guru has just released the 2002 Edition of "101 Essential
Domain Name Resources", the essential free guide to the best
domain name web sites, services, and software in existence today.

9) Frequently Asked Questions about Technical Training:

Each month Scott Turton will answer one of the frequently asked
questions we receive about computer and IT training and career
development.

September 2002 FAQ: Is there a demand for IT workers?

Answer:

Although there is evidence that the demand for IT workers has
decreased, many industries will see an increase in hiring in the
near future (3-12 months out). A good article to read is
"Bouncing Back: Jobs, Skills and the Continuing Demand for IT
Workers" <http://www.dice.com/itaa.html> which states the
following:

"Companies are optimistic about future hirings over the next
twelve months. They project an aggregate demand for IT workers of
1,148,639 in 2002, of which they expect 578,711 positions to go
unfilled due to a lack of qualified workers, referred to as the
"gap" in IT workers. While demand is up 27% over 2001, it is only
71% of the level measured in 2000. Over the three years demand
and gap have been counted by ITAA, gap remains consistently
around 50% of total demand."

"C++, followed by Oracle, SQL, Java and Windows NT are the
hottest, most in demand IT skills as determined by the new
ITAA/Dice Tech Skills Profile."

Taking a longer term perspective, of the top 10 growth
occupations (during the 1998-2008 period) from the U.S. Bureau of
Labor Statistics, the first is System Analysts (577,000) and the
eighth is Computer Support Specialists (439,000)
<http://www.bls.gov/opub/working/page9b.htm>. Also see this page:
"Workers with computer skills are in demand":
<http://www.bls.gov/opub/working/page8a.htm>.

I hope this information helps you.

Scott Turton
Computer Education, Training & Tutorial Resources
http://www.intelligentedu.com

10) Please Support Our Training Mission

http://www.intelligentedu.com/support.html

How You Can Support Our IT Training Mission

Please help support Intelligentedu.com's Computer and IT Education and
Training Mission by visiting our sponsors below. By doing so, you
will be helping people who want to learn to use computers in an
Information Technology career.

University of Phoenix Online: Advance your career:
http://pontly.com/clk/aftauserafthepausulde

DeVry: Online degrees for working adults?
http://iashel.com/clk/guntuanglangan

ITT Technical Institute: Choose from their many programs:
http://ipodra.com/clk/kaitanyunnuodiao

The Chubb Institute: Get IT training to succeed in 5 months!
http://burah.com/clk/zhaoduanqiegenyo

American College of Computer & Information Sciences:
Get the degree you need to advance your career...online at your
convenience
http://wesac.com/clk/solfglurtmataftatz

Saint Leo University Online:
Accelerated Online Degree Programs: Business and Accounting,
Computer Information, Criminal Justice, Liberal Arts.
http://gartum.com/clk/yadenibonkiryudaibon

American InterContinental University Online:
http://didtal.com/clk/baizhuankanliumei

University Alliance Schools:
http://elilip.com/clk/tuonongzangtuzhuai

Regis University Online (MBA Programs):
http://ilatpa.com/clk/ersolfmermanabung

Jacksonville University Online (RN to BSN Programs):
http://ivibra.com/clk/niuxietudangshai

Computer Liquidation Sale: Click here:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/links/liquidation_sale.html

Animated Tour of Sessions.edu:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/links/sessions.html

Online Courses - eLearners.com:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/links/elearners.html

eLearners.com is your key to online distance learning courses,
degrees. Search 27,000+ online & distance learning courses,
degrees, training programs and colleges.

Norton SystemWorks 2002 Professional Edition

This featured-packed suite of 6 full-version products includes:
Norton AntiVirus, Norton Utilities, Norton CleanSweep, Norton
Ghost, GoBack? WinFax Basic.
$300 Retail Value for Only...$28.99
**ORDER NOW with FREE SHIPPING, before supplies run out**
http://www.intelligentedu.com/links/norton_systemworks.html

Computer Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources

http://www.intelligentedu.com/
Free I.T. Training Now!

A free and member-based I.T. educational and training portal web
site. We have compiled, categorized, described, and linked many,
many sites that will be of keen interest to computer science
students and instructors and others seeking free training and
knowledge about computers. All areas are covered, from
programming to systems administration to networking to the
internet. You are able to study and learn all about computers and
I.T. via Free training, courses, tutorials, books, guides,
documentation, articles, tips, notes, and help. Also offered are
free technical training tutorials co-branded with
Beginners.uk.co. Check us out today.

Copyright Notice: Please note that all of the items hyperlinked
are copyrighted by their authors and/or publishers. You are
expected to look for, read, and adhere to such notices when
present.

*** Intelligentedu.com's Member Site ***
http://www.intelligentedu.com/sign-up/index.html

Our Members' Site contains the web's best computer and IT
training resources and tutorials. This content is individually
linked and presented in a way to expedite and facilitate your IT
learning experience. We have done all the web research and
presentation work for you so you can concentrate solely on your
computer training.

Intelligentedu.com Member Site FAQ:

1. Over half of the web sites and pages in our members site are
not in the free section of our web site. The online training
resources in our members' site are linked and laid out in a much
more detailed fashion than those in the free section. This will
save you time in finding all the best free training on the web.

2. If you use a credit card when joining, it will be billed by
Verotel. When your membership period expires, you will be asked
if you want to renew your membership, you will not be
automatically charged another fee on your credit card or check.

3. You can also use PayPal to sign-up as a member of
Intelligentedu.com, just use this link:
<http://www.intelligentedu.com/links/become_a_member.html>. If you
register to pay $10.00 via PayPal using this method, simply tell
us in the 'Special Instructions' what you want for your user name
and password.

4. If your country is not listed in the drop-down list, please
use 2checkout.com to register as an intelligentedu.com site member
using this link:
<http://www.intelligentedu.com/links/intelinfo_member.html>. I will
then send you an email asking what you would like to use for your
user name and password.

The total price to join our member's site is only $10 total for 6
months. The funds generated will assist us to help all those
seeking IT education and application development training. Here's
the link to see what's available on our member's site and to sign
up: <http://www.intelligentedu.com/sign-up/index.html>. You can email
Scott Turton with questions at scott_turton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources simply send a blank
email to this address:
intelinfo-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(you will need to confirm)

Or go to this web page:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/newsletr_sub_unsub.html

To Unsubscribe from this Free monthly Newsletter of Computer
Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources simply send a blank
email to this address:
(no need to confirm)

Or go to this web page:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/newsletr_sub_unsub.html