Oct 2002 Computer IT Education & Training Newsletter

  • From: scott_turton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: intelinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 30 Sep 2002 16:27:33 -0500

         Newsletter for Computer IT Education,
             Training & Tutorial Resources

           *** ISSUE #26 - October 2002 ***

               http://www.intelligentedu.com/

     This Newsletter is only sent to its subscribers and
     is available in early November, 2002 on the web at
     http://www.intelligentedu.com/newsletter26.html

     Newsletter Archives are here:
     http://www.intelligentedu.com/newsletter.html

     Subscribe and unsubscribe instructions are at the end.

     Please forward this newsletter to all your friends
     and associates who might be interested!

In This Issue:

1)... Editor's Greeting

2)... The Best New Free I.T. Training & Tutorial Sites

3)... New Free I.T. Books & Book Sites

4)... University Computer Science Course Sites

5)... The Best Suggested Sites from Website Users

6)... New I.T. Training & Tutorial Link Sites

7)... New Desktop and Office Application Training Sites

8)... I.T. Sites Worth Mentioning

9)... Frequently Asked Questions about Technical Training

10)... Please Support Our Computer Training Mission

1) Editor's Greeting:

Hello, everyone and welcome to our new subscribers!

This is the 26th issue of our free monthly email newsletter for
Computer IT Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources, giving you
the latest Free online IT Training Resources that we have
recently discovered and researched. This newsletter is free to
anyone subscribing (instructions at bottom, no username/password
is needed). To access our member site, however, you do need a
user name and password - registering as a member of Intelligentedu.com
costs $10 for six months, for more information please see below
'Become a Member of Intelligentedu.com'.

My desire is that these free resources will help you with your
computer education and training and are tools to advance your IT
career. Our main mission is the training of those less fortunate
who are seeking to become computer literate, both technically and
from a user's perspective.

In this issue we describe and link to a total of 70 computer, IT
and programming learning and tutorial web sites. By means of this
email newsletter, you have knowledge of and access to these sites
before our web site visitors do. This newsletter is now available
to subscribers in HTML format at this special url:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/current_news.html

*** Current News ***

We've added some great new content to our free IT certification
study guides and notes page at
http://www.intelligentedu.com/free_it_certification_study_guides.html
- It now includes more study guides and listings of providers
offering free certification exam practice questions.

We are offering a Free Full version (retail value $149.95) of the
Windows 2000 Professional Quizzer (exam 70-210) to all
Intelligentedu.com newsletter subscribers.  You can get here:
http://www.beachfrontdirect.com/itetb1.html
It is produced by Free Beachfront Direct, a leading certification
site. It contains:
 -Over 250 Questions/Multiple Choice Answers
 -Detailed explanations for all questions
 -Lots of Free on-line web references
 -Adaptive Mode, Study Mode and Exam Simulation Mode

I'd like to personally wish you the best with your computer
studies and learning.

Warm Regards,
Scott Turton
Newsletter Editor and Webmaster
scott_turton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.intelligentedu.com/

Please Visit One of Our Sponsors and request more information -
doing this gives us the resources to bring you these great free
computer and IT training resources every month:

Search for IT Training:
http://tinyurl.com/1nvg

Computer Colleges:
http://tinyurl.com/1nvm

University of Phoenix Online: Advance your career:
http://pontly.com/clk/aftauserafthepausulde

DeVry: Online degrees for working adults?
http://iashel.com/clk/guntuanglangan

Westwood College of Technology - Online:
http://tinyurl.com/1nv7

Find Computer Programming Training:
http://tinyurl.com/1nvj

ITT Technical Institute: Choose from their many programs:
http://ipodra.com/clk/kaitanyunnuodiao

American InterContinental University Online:
http://didtal.com/clk/baizhuankanliumei

Regis University Online (MBA Programs):
http://ilatpa.com/clk/ersolfmermanabung

University Alliance Schools:
Accelerated degrees and flexible online courses with streaming
video lectures
http://elilip.com/clk/tuonongzangtuzhuai

American College of Computer & Information Sciences:
Get the degree you need to advance your career...online at your
convenience
http://wesac.com/clk/solfglurtmataftatz

Saint Leo University Online:
Accelerated Online Degree Programs: Business and Accounting,
Computer Information, Criminal Justice, Liberal Arts.
http://gartum.com/clk/yadenibonkiryudaibon

*** Become a Member of Intelligentedu.com ***

Our Members' Site contains the web's best computer and IT
training resources and tutorials. This content is individually
linked and presented in a way to expedite and facilitate your IT
learning experience. We have done all the web research and
presentation work for you so you can concentrate solely on your
computer training. For a short FAQ, please see the end of this
newsletter.

The total price to join as a member is only $10 total for 6
months. The funds generated will assist us to help all those
seeking IT education and application development training. Here's
the link to see what's available on our member's site and to sign
up: http://www.intelligentedu.com/sign-up/index.html

*** Free IT Training Materials and Books ***
This section of our site contains over 2,000 free IT, computer
and programming training resource links:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/free_it_training_materials_and_books.html

*** Our Newly Researched Free Online Computer Training ***
Containing over 12,000 free IT training and tutorial resources,
this section of our site is available only to our newsletter
subscribers and web site members:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/newly_researched_free_training.html

*** Free e-Book: "Understanding Computer Security" ***
Our new e-book contains the best information from U.S. government
agency computer security papers and guides and presents it in a
coherent and understandable manner. My hope is that this e-book
will make computer security easier to learn. Click here to
receive your Free Copy:
http://intelinfo.hypermart.net/Understanding_Computer_Security.zip
(553 kb). When unzipped it is a windows executable.

2)  The Best New Free I.T. Training & Tutorial Sites:

This section of our newsletter contains the best new free IT
training and tutorial sites that we have found and researched in
the last few weeks. These resources will be added to our Free IT
Training & Courses page at http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat1.html,
our Free IT Tutorials and Guides page at
http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat2.html, or to our members' site.

Tutorials:
http://www.felsinger.com/tutorials.htm

IT Tutorials covering UML, Java, J2EE, C++, VB, and Web
Development. These documents in PDF format, each of varying
lengths, from 10 to 300 pages.

Object Mentor - Articles:
http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/articleIndex

Articles about software development covering Analysis,
Architecture, C, C++, Database, Design, GUI, Java, Methodologies,
Object Oriented Design, Patterns, Testing, UML, and Use Cases.

OOP Tutorial:
http://homepages.unl.ac.uk/~chalkp/proj/ootutor/sitemap1.html

This is an Interactive Web Tutorial for Object Oriented
Programming: OOP Concepts, OOP Design and UML, along with tests
to assess your learning.

161 Rules of Thumb for C/C++ and OO:
http://www.holub.com/goodies/rules.html

Most of these rules apply to programming in general and OO
programming in other languages (such as Java) in particular.

An Introduction to Object-Oriented Design:
http://www.accu.org/acornsig/public/articles/ood_intro.html

This talk is meant to introduce you to object-oriented design. It
is particularly useful if you've just started C++ and you're
wondering how to decide what classes to use and what goes in them
- that's exactly what design is about. Also look at this author's
Object-oriented programming in C article:
http://www.accu.org/acornsig/public/articles/oop_c.html

Algorithm Tutorial:
http://homepages.unl.ac.uk/~chalkp/proj/algtutor/index.html

The aim of this tutorial is to Introduce Algorithms and the
basics of Sorting Algorithms.

The Road to Better Programming:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-road1.html

This is a series of articles comprising a complete guide to
better programming in Perl. In this first installment, the author
looks at coding guidelines from a fresh perspective. This is for
the beginner to intermediate Perl programmer, but even an
advanced one can find the majority of the chapters exciting and
relevant. Here are chapters 2 through 5:

Chapter 2 - Commenting your code:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-road2.html

Chapter 3 - Loops, clean code, and the Perl idioms:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-road3.html

Chapter 4 - Functional programming:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-road4.html

Chapter 5 - Modules and Objects:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-road5.html

Free Webinars from exln.com:
http://www.exln.com/events/webinars/

Free XML related E-business live Webinars. They also have an
archive of their past ones you can freely access at
http://www.exln.com/events/webinars/archive_webinars/index.shtml

Glossary of Terms:
http://mcs.open.ac.uk/Computing/html/new_courses/m301/glossary.htm

An excellent glossary covering terms and concepts about software
development, software engineering, and object -oriented
programming.

HTML Documentation of Software Packages:
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~lijnzaad/docs/

This site hosts documentation for these: Oracle, MySQL, OpenLDAP,
BASH, Java, Perl, CVS, CORBA, and several more.

Mundi Design Studios:
http://www.mundidesign.com/home.html

Great interactive tutorial on The Principles of Graphic Design.
Very well made and informative site built using Macromedia Flash.

Computer Networking Tutorials:

Tutorial 1 - Introduction (26 pages):
http://www.cs.ust.hk/~tykuo/network/tutorial1.doc

Tutorial 2 -  Network Layer (16 pages):
http://www.cs.ust.hk/~tykuo/network/tutorial2.doc

Tutorial 3 - Application Layer (13 pages):
http://www.cs.ust.hk/~tykuo/network/tutorial3.doc

Tutorial 4 - TCP/IP Model (7 pages):
http://www.cs.ust.hk/~tykuo/network/tutorial4.doc

Nice Tutorial Demonstrations:

  OSI Model:
  http://www.cs.ust.hk/~tykuo/comp361/OSIdemo.zip

  Access Methods (CSMA, Token Passing, Demand Priority):
  http://www.cs.ust.hk/~tykuo/comp361/AccessMethodDemo.zip

Tapping the Power of the Mobile Enterprise:
http://www.extendedsystems.com/download/xtndserver/HandheldIntegrationGuide.pdf

A step-by-step guide to successful handheld integration. (526 kb,
22 pages)

Gaudí System Architecting:
http://www.extra.research.philips.com/natlab/sysarch/index.html

This site has remarkable depth and coverage of their system
architecture training material. Here are links to some of this
content:

Course Information:
http://www.extra.research.philips.com/natlab/sysarch/CourseDescriptions.html

System Architecting Book:
http://www.extra.research.philips.com/natlab/sysarch/SystemArchitectureBook.pdf

System Architecting Modules:
http://www.extra.research.philips.com/natlab/sysarch/SystemArchitecting.html

Architectural Reasoning Book:
http://www.extra.research.philips.com/natlab/sysarch/ArchitecturalReasoningBook.pdf

Architectural Reasoning Modules:
http://www.extra.research.philips.com/natlab/sysarch/ArchitecturalReasoning.html

Two Wireless Tutorials:

Wireless Short Message Service Tutorial:
http://www.iec.org/online/tutorials/wire_sms/

Wireless LANs:
http://www.computerworld.com/mobiletopics/mobile/story/0,10801,69442,00.html
Describes how wireless local-area networks (WLAN) use radio waves
instead of a cable to connect a user device, such as a laptop
computer, to a LAN.

Free Training from Oracle.com:

Oracle9i Application Development:
http://www.oracle.com/ip/develop/ids/DevSeminars.html
View Free on-demand application development internet seminars.

Internet Seminars:
http://www.oracle.com/iseminars/index.html?topten.html
Oracle's top 10 Internet Seminars

Free streaming Oracle Training: One Day Web Tools Course:

One Day Web Tools Course - Part 1:
http://www.oracle.com/pls/ebn/popup.on_demand?p_referred=related_show&p_shows_id=501184&p_win_size=L150
Use this url if above url is too long: http://tinyurl.com/1l8t

One Day Web Tools Course - Part 2:
http://www.oracle.com/pls/ebn/popup.on_demand?p_referred=related_show&p_shows_id=501185&p_win_size=L150
Use this url if above url is too long: http://tinyurl.com/1nls

One Day Web Tools Course - Part 3:
http://www.oracle.com/pls/ebn/popup.on_demand?p_referred=related_show&p_shows_id=501186&p_win_size=L150
Use this url if above url is too long: http://tinyurl.com/1nlt

One Day Web Tools Course - Part 4:
http://www.oracle.com/pls/ebn/popup.on_demand?p_referred=related_show&p_shows_id=501187&p_win_size=L150
Use this url if above url is too long: http://tinyurl.com/1nlu

One Day Web Tools Course - Part 5:
http://www.oracle.com/pls/ebn/popup.on_demand?p_referred=related_show&p_shows_id=501188&p_win_size=L150
Use this url if above url is too long: http://tinyurl.com/1nly

Cisco Seminar Series:
http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/sreg2/register/regmenu.pl

Some of the seminars offered by Cisco include Securing Your
Wireless LAN, Mid-Range Routing, Deploying Quality of Service,
and Access the Future. (free registration required)

O'Reilly Network: Linux Tutorials:
http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/q/linux_tutorials

These Linux articles and  tutorials cover a variety of topics,
such as C Call Vulnerabilities, CASE Tools: Large System
Development, CVS, Writing PAM Modules, Remote Linux
Administration, Wireless Linux, Qt 3.0, LDAP, and Squid.

Some of the Latest and Best Training from IBM Developerworks:

Securing your Web server:
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/security-onlinecourse-bytitle/7CCFEE74611BD7A386256BFF00493A13?OpenDocument
This tutorial details how to "lock down" a Web server in less
than an hour. It covers physical security, the importance of
firewalls, correct application installation, file permissions,
and application configuration. Use this url if above url is too
long: http://tinyurl.com/1l8f

Tuning Red Hat for Maximum Performance:
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/linux-onlinecourse-bytitle/381A3EFB90955B5986256C1C0078EECC?OpenDocument
This tutorial details the ins and outs of transforming an 'out of
the box' Red Hat installation into a finely tuned, stable system
customized to your needs. You'll also discover that performance
and security often go hand in hand. Use this url if above url is
too long: http://tinyurl.com/1l8h

Linux Links Wirelessly:
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/wireless-onlinecourse-bytitle/77238E3CF25A56FD86256C29006B2B96?OpenDocument
This free, dW-exclusive tutorial by Tom Syroid teaches you how to
configure a wireless network card under Linux. Use this url if
above url is too long: http://tinyurl.com/1l8i

UNIX, Linux, and Windows: Managing the Unruly Trinity
http://www.winnetmag.com/seminars/netiq/

This web seminar discusses the concerns associated with managing
a heterogeneous server environment. You'll learn more about the
management characteristics of each platform and about existing
management solutions and how well they work. There's no charge
for this online event.

PC Center's Free Web Test:
http://www.pccenter-chicago.com/test/welcome.asp

A Free online practice exam web site. Take practice exams for
your Microsoft Certified System Engineer, A+ Certification exams,
Network+ exams, and CIW certification exams. (registration
required)

Microsoft Windows DNA XML Resource Kit:
http://tabor.millikin.edu/sts/xml/default_ie.htm

This Resource Kit provides tools and resources for the developers
who want to take advantage of XML in their Windows DNA
applications. The articles, code samples, and tools on this CD
will show how XML can be used in each of the three tiers of a
Windows DNA application. Here is the index page:
http://tabor.millikin.edu/sts/xml/index.htm

Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit TCP/IP Core Networking
Guide:
http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~lewis/cnet.chm

Download this guide which includes the Microsoft TCP/IP Guide
plus lots of information on DNS, DHCP, Windows QoS architecture,
IPSec etc. (Windows help format)

Two New Articles from Informit.com:

Understanding C# Objects and Collections:
http://www.informit.com/link.asp?link=art04
Everything used in C# is an object, so understanding objects is
critical to your success with C#. In this hour you'll learn about
collections and what makes an object an object.

Using .NET to Build a Distributed Web Application:
http://www.informit.com/link.asp?link=art05
Use the Travel Agency Union (TAU) case study to learn how to
effectively implement a distributed web application with the .NET
framework.

Two Microsoft MSDN ASP Pages:

ASP from A to Z:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnasp/html/aspatoz.asp
This article provides an easy way to find information that
pertains to ASP, including a short definition of what ASP is, how
ASP works, and an alphabetical list of terms and tips that relate
to ASP.

25+ ASP Tips to Improve Performance and Style:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnasp/html/asptips.asp
This article presents tips for optimizing ASP applications and
Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript). Many traps and
pitfalls are discussed.

3) New Free Computer IT Books, Publications & Book Sites:

Some of these web resources will be added to our Free IT Books
page at http://www.intelligentedu.com/free_computer_books.html and
some will be added to our members site.

Free Linux Technology Book Chapters:

Chapter 4 from Linux+ Study Guide:
Users and Security:
ftp://ftp.sybex.com/2939/2939c04.pdf
(to prepare for CompTIA's Linux+ Exam) (3.21MB)

Chapter 22 from Mastering Red Hat Linux 7.1:
Connecting Linux to the Internet:
ftp://ftp.sybex.com/2927/2927c22.pdf (1.32MB)

Red Hat Certified Engineer Exam Notes:
Web Supplement Chapter: Basic Knowledge:
ftp://ftp.sybex.com/2812/2812webch.pdf  (1,428KB)

Chapter 6 from the RHCE:
Red Hat Certified Engineer Study Guide: Installation Planning:
ftp://ftp.sybex.com/2793/2793c06.pdf  (1,400KB)

Chapter 9 from Mastering Linux:
Using Applications with GNOME and X Windows:
ftp://ftp.sybex.com/2915/2915c09.pdf  (879KB)

Chapter 3 from Linux Sendmail Administration:
Running Sendmail:
ftp://ftp.sybex.com/2737/2737c03.pdf  (250KB)

Chapter 6 from Linux System Administration:
Creating and Maintaining User Accounts:
ftp://ftp.sybex.com/2735/2735c06.pdf  (204KB)

Advanced Linux Programming:
http://www.newriders.com/books/opl/ebooks/0735710430.html

Advanced Linux Programming is intended for the programmer already
familiar with the C programming language. The authors take a
tutorial approach and teach the most important concepts and
techniques for using the advanced and powerful features of the
GNU/Linux system in application programs.

Open Distributed Systems:
http://www.isc.rit.edu/~icsa750/reading/ods.html

This book is organized in two parts: the first part covers the
theory of distributed systems, the second half contains three
special examples of distributed systems.

The Impact of Object-Orientation on Application Development:
http://alistair.cockburn.us/crystal/articles/iooooad/impactofooonapplicationdeveloment.pdf

This document highlights four areas of O-O that impact
application development: encapsulation, anthropomorphic design,
reuse with extensibility, and incremental and iterative
development. (8.8 mb, 25 pages). The following book extract is
also useful:

Surviving Object Oriented Projects:
http://alistair.cockburn.us/crystal/books/soop/soop9704extract.pdf
(309 kb, 78 pages)

Software Architect:
http://www.softwarearchitect.biz/

This book is about how individuals can take the lead in
realigning our development efforts to the original promise of
technology of making our lives easier. The position of Software
Architect, or a similar title, has been created by many
organizations in the realization that software development needs
to be led by a single mind, or more accurately, by a single
vision. This will guide you to the skills you need to become a
software architect and survive as one.

Software Engineering Using C++:
http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~tdc/teaching/sweng/handouts/SwengbookRevised151199.pdf

This is a 116 page book of lecture notes by Professor Terry
Chapman of De Montfort University. It is very well organized and
presented. He also wrote this document which explains what a
binary search is:
http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~tdc/teaching/sweng/handouts/BinarySearch.pdf

Numerical Recipes Books On-Line:
http://www.ulib.org/webRoot/Books/Numerical_Recipes/

Numerical Recipes in C - The Art of Scientific Computing:
http://www.ulib.org/webRoot/Books/Numerical_Recipes/bookcpdf.html

Numerical Recipes in Fortran 90 - The Art of Parallel Scientific
Computing:
http://www.ulib.org/webRoot/Books/Numerical_Recipes/bookf90pdf.html

Free Book Excerpts from therationaledge.com:

Use-Case Modeling:
http://www.therationaledge.com/content/jul_02/t_establishingTheVision_kb.jsp

"Servlets" from Developing Enterprise Java Applications with J2EE
and UML:
http://www.therationaledge.com/content/aug_02/t_servletsChp10_ka.jsp

"An Introduction to the Java 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition" from
Building J2EE Applications with the Rational Unified Process:
http://www.therationaledge.com/content/sep_02/r_introToJ2EE_pe.jsp

Developing Applications with Java and UML:
http://www.therationaledge.com/content/may_02/t_startingTheProject_pr.jsp

Voice Communication Between Humans and Machines:
http://www.nap.edu/books/0309049881/html/index.html

This book is based on the National Academy of Science's
Colloquium on human-machine communication by voice. The articles
appearing on these pages were contributed by speakers at the
colloquium.

World Wide Web - Beyond the Basics:
http://ei.cs.vt.edu/~wwwbtb/book/index.html

The material in the book caters to a dual audience: novice users
of the WWW, who want a fundamental knowledge about existing and
evolving Web technology, and professional users, who want in-
depth information on specific topics.

Tcl for Web Nerds:
http://philip.greenspun.com/tcl/

The authors hope that a professional programmer or MIT student
can breeze through this book in one evening. By the end of the
evening, that person should have learned Tcl, learned a little
something about the Web, and not have been bored.

Algorithms and Complexity by Herbert S. Wilf:
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~wilf/AlgComp2.html
http://ban.mansfield.ohio-state.edu/boat/books/AlgorithmComplexity/AlgorithmComplexity.html

This book grew out of the senior level course, discrete
algorithms, at the University of Pennsylvania's computer track.
(1.1 mb)

PVM: Parallel Virtual Machine:
http://www.netlib.org/pvm3/book/pvm-book.html

A Users' Guide and Tutorial for Networked Parallel Computing. To
successfully use this book, one should be experienced with common
programming techniques and understand some basic parallel
processing concepts. In particular, this guide assumes that the
user knows how to write, execute, and debug Fortran or C programs
and is familiar with Unix.

Unix System Administration:
http://wks.uts.ohio-state.edu/sysadm_course/html/sysadm-1.html

This free book teaches installation and maintenance of the Unix
computer system. The system administrator will need to maintain
the software and hardware for the system. This includes hardware
configuration, software installation, reconfiguration of the
kernel, networking, and anything else that's required to make the
system work and keep it running in a satisfactory manner.

New Free Chapters from Osborne.com:

Advanced C# Programming:
http://www.osborne.com/products/0072224177/0072224177_ch01.pdf

GCC: The Complete Reference:
http://www.osborne.com/products/0072224053/0072224053_ch01.pdf

J2EE: The Complete Reference:
http://www.osborne.com/products/007222472X/007222472X_ch01.pdf

SQL: The Complete Reference, Second Edition:
http://www.osborne.com/products/0072225599/0072225599_ch01.pdf

All Microsoft Press Books - many have free chapters:
http://www.netscum.dk/mspress/findabook/list/title.asp

Free chapters from books about Computer and Network Security:
http://www.netscum.dk/mspress/security/

Free chapters from books about Web and Internet Administration:
http://www.netscum.dk/mspress/internet/admin/

Free chapters from books about Web Programming:
http://www.netscum.dk/mspress/internet/programming/

Network Hardware Chapter from the Network+ Certification Training
Kit:
http://www.netscum.dk/mspress/books/sampchap/5102.asp#SampleChapter

Free chapters from MS Office XP books:
http://www.netscum.dk/mspress/office/officexp/allbooks/default.asp

4) University Computer Science Course Sites
   Free to Browse and Study:

These web sites will be added to our Free University IT Course
Webs page at
http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat3.html

Network Systems Architecture 3:
http://web.archive.org/web/20011117110651/www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~lewis/nsa3.html

Course presentation containing 56 excellent slides and two
tutorials with solutions are available. Use this url if above url
is too long: http://tinyurl.com/1nr1

Network Communications Technology 4:
http://web.archive.org/web/20010603092050/http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~lewis/nct4.html

Course presentation containing 48 excellent slides and exam
questions with solutions are available. Use this url if above url
is too long: http://tinyurl.com/1nr2

CSC 330: Programming Languages:
http://malun1.mala.bc.ca:8080/~wesselsd/csc330/index.html

The lecture notes discuss the following and more: History of
programming languages, Techniques for describing syntax and
semantics, Scope and binding, Data types, Expressions, Control
(selection and iteration), Subprograms, Polymorphic subprograms,
and run-time stacks.

CSC 375 Systems Analysis:
http://malun1.mala.bc.ca:8080/~wesselsd/csc375/index.html

This course gives good lecture notes helping you understand the
following: Project management; Cost-benefit analysis; Managing
people, Metrics, planning, and estimation; Risk management;
Requirements and analysis overview, Gathering requirements,
Process modeling, Data modeling, Sequence modeling, Design
overview, Architectural design, Interface design, and Data
design.

CSCI 160: Computing Science I:
http://malun1.mala.bc.ca:8080/~wesselsd/csci160/index.html

This course provides an introduction to a number of practical
tools and techniques, including:
 - Basic computer architecture and network operation.
 - Programming languages, using C++ as the main example.
 - Operating systems, using Unix as the main example.
 - Techniques to methodically analyze problems and design
solutions.
 - Techniques to produce effective software based on the design
solutions.

CSCI 161 Computing Science II:
http://malun1.mala.bc.ca:8080/~wesselsd/csci161/index.html

A basic mastery of the C++ programming language is needed as this
course covers approaches to solve practical programming problems.
It focuses on the concepts of abstract data types (ADTs) and the
support for them offered through C++ classes. In particular, it
discusses the linked list, queue, stack, and tree ADTs.

Object-Oriented Application Programming in C++:
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/courseware/cse3400/index.htm

This course has good lecture notes on how to program in C++,
along with Samples and Solutions to Tutorial Exercises. Here are
chapters from books used in  this course:

Abstract Container Types from C++ Primer (94 pages):
http://www.awprofessional.com/content/images/0201824701/samplechapter/chap6.pdf.

Modularity from Object-Oriented Software Construction:
http://vig.prenhall.com/samplechapter/0136291554.pdf

A Tour of C++ from The C++ Programming Language (24 pages):
http://www.awprofessional.com/content/images/0201889544/samplechapter/Chapter2.pdf

Exception Handling: A False Sense Of Security by Tom Cargill:
http://www.awprofessional.com/content/images/020163371x/supplements/Exception_Handling_Article.html

COMP272 Object Oriented Programming and Design:
http://www.math.luc.edu/~van/cs272/

The is course uses Microsoft Development Studio and aims to teach
you how to:
- Understand how to program using object oriented techniques.
- Program in C++.
- Develop a medium sized windows application.

CSci402: Operating Systems:
http://www.isi.edu/~faber/cs402/notes/

This course has 24 excellent beginner operating system lecture
notes covering Operating Systems Basics and Structure, Processes
& Threads, Synchronization, Deadlock Recovery, Avoidance and
Prevention, Memory Management, Memory Allocation and Virtual
Memory, Segmentation, Caching, File Systems, Directories,
Security, Authentication, The I/O Subsystem, Device Driver
Specifics, and Networking.

5) The Best Suggested Sites from our Website Users - Every month
we feature the best suggested IT training and tutorial sites from
our website visitors. Here are this month's sites:

Srinivasa Sivakumar's Resource Site:
http://www3.brinkster.com/webguru/

500 Free Computer and IT Book Chapters:
http://www3.brinkster.com/webguru/Sample.Asp

400 Computer and IT Book Articles:
http://www3.brinkster.com/webguru/Articles.Asp?CatID=1

The Definitive Guide to Exchange 2000 Design and Deployment:
http://www.aelita.com/Reg/Marketing/Ebook/Exchange_Book/exch_welcome.htm

This is the latest eBook from Realtimepublishers, written by
industry expert Evan Morris. This eBook will look provide IT
managers and administrators with real-world examples and hands-on
techniques for planning for and administering Exchange 2000.
Chpaters will be posted as they are written. (free registration
required)

Free Learning:
http://www.cics.cjb.net/

A+ study material covering Modems, Printers, Communications, and
Networking tutorials.

pntmart.com:
http://www.pntmart.com/faq/2002/download-tutorial/

Tutorials, guides, manuals and books covering Networking,
Programming, Database, Unix/Linux, Windows. Some of the links do
not work.

Free Java Certification (SCJP) Mock Exams:
http://www.certification4career.com/sun/java/programmer/mockexams.html

An informative site with 130+ SCJP practice questions,
studyguide, discussion board, and related links to prepare for
java certification

Computer Talk streams on the Internet:
http://www.compbeat.com/othershows.htm

Computer Talk Shows in Real, MS and MP3 formats. This is a great
gateway site.

6) New Computer & IT Training & Tutorial Link & Resource Sites:

These web sites will be added to our IT Links and Resources page
at http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat6.html

TutorGig.com - The Tutorial Website:
http://www.tutorgig.com/index.html

A good link and resource site for all types of free computer
related tutorials.

Internet Learning Resources:
http://www.kabira.com/education/Services/Resources/ResourcesMain.htm

95 learning web sites for various IT technologies.

Software Engineering Resources:
http://www.rspa.com/spi/index.html

Over 800 software engineering resources to help you gather
information on a variety of software engineering topics. Both
print and electronic resources are considered.

Cryptography and Security:
http://theory.lcs.mit.edu/~rivest/crypto-security.html

This page contains pointers to web sites dealing with
cryptography and security, including university sites and
courses, algorithms, protocols, software, number theory links.

7) New Desktop and Office Application Training Sites:

These web sites will be added to of Free Office and Desktop
Training page at http://www.intelligentedu.com/office.html . Also,
check out our expanded MS Office 2000 Free Training page here:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/office_2000.html

Tutorials and Courses:
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/tcpet/irc/courses.htm

These are books to MS Office applications that are surprisingly
good. Each book can be used as a Tutorial, Course, or for a quick
on-the-job help aid.

Word Tutorial:
http://www.todayskills.com/mswordtutor/msword.htm

Excel Tutorial:
http://www.todayskills.com/msexceltutor/msexcel.htm

Access Tutorial:
http://www.todayskills.com/msaccesstutor/msaccess.htm

On-Line Practice Modules:
http://www.internet4classrooms.com/on-line.htm

Tutorials about how to use software applications commonly used in
K-12 classrooms, also links to other tutorials on the web.

Planet Discovery Tutorials:
http://www.paec.org/planetdiscovery/land.htm#tutorials

Excellent Office, Windows and Macintosh tutorialsm and workshops
in pdf format.

Tutorials:
http://wdmesc.wmsc.k12.ar.us/Technology/tutorials.htm

MS Office Tutorials in pdf format. These were were converted from
PowerPoint.

Linda's Office Sampler:
http://www.personal-computer-tutor.com/OfficeSampler.exe

Tutorials on each of the Office 2000 programs.

Technology Tutorials found on the Web:
http://www.internet4classrooms.com/on-line2.htm

Links to tutorials for MS Office and a lot of other software.

8) I.T. Sites Worth Mentioning:

O'Reilly Conferences:
http://conferences.oreilly.com/

O'Reilly Open Source Convention Coverage:
http://www.oreillynet.com/oscon2002/
O'Reilly has posted coverage of this year's Open Source
Convention

O'Reilly Open Source Convention Coverage (2001):
http://www.oreillynet.com/oscon2001/
Articles, interviews, and audio and video coverage of select
talks from last year's convention.

O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference - Presentation Files:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/18/presentations.html
Download the presentation files from the O'Reilly Emerging
Technology Conference.

Coverage from O'Reilly's Peer-to-Peer and Web Services
Conference:
http://www.openp2p.com/pub/a/p2p/conference/dc_con.html
Includes articles and talks by speakers. Here are the
presentation files:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/p2pweb2001/pub/w/16/presentations.html

Best Free Software Sites on the Web:
http://www.startingpage.com/html/downloads.html

A quick reference guide to the best free software download sites
on the web.

Tinyurl.com:
http://tinyurl.com

TinyURL offers a free redirection service which gives you a short
url instead of using a very long one. I've used it for some long
URLs in this issue.

Icons to Burn:
http://iconlibrary.com/

Now you can select the perfect icon rather than accept a
compromise choice from the limited set offered by Windows. Here's
a free collection of over 5000 quality icons, sorted into
categories and downloadable in a single zip file.

9) Frequently Asked Questions about Technical Training:

Each month Scott Turton will answer one of the frequently asked
questions we receive about computer and IT training and career
development.

October 2002 FAQ:

Answer: How can I find the free computer and IT materials that I
am looking for?

I have added a 'How To Search' section to our free computer and
IT books page one at
<http://www.intelligentedu.com/free_computer_books.html#search>. These
intructions will help you search for computer and IT books,
especially those that are freely available on the web. Please let
me know if this helps you, and if you need more assistance with
finding what you need. I will try to lend a hand.

I hope this information helps you.

Scott Turton
Computer Education, Training & Tutorial Resources
http://www.intelligentedu.com

10) Please Support Our Training Mission

http://www.intelligentedu.com/support.html

How You Can Support Our IT Training Mission

Please help support Intelligentedu.com's Computer and IT Education and
Training Mission by visiting our sponsors below. By doing so, you
will be helping people who want to learn to use computers in an
Information Technology career.

University of Phoenix Online: Advance your career:
http://pontly.com/clk/aftauserafthepausulde

DeVry: Online degrees for working adults?
http://iashel.com/clk/guntuanglangan

ITT Technical Institute: Choose from their many programs:
http://ipodra.com/clk/kaitanyunnuodiao

The Chubb Institute: Get IT training to succeed in 5 months!
http://burah.com/clk/zhaoduanqiegenyo

Search for IT Training:
http://tinyurl.com/1nvg

Computer Colleges:
http://tinyurl.com/1nvm

American College of Computer & Information Sciences:
Get the degree you need to advance your career...online at your
convenience
http://wesac.com/clk/solfglurtmataftatz

Saint Leo University Online:
Accelerated Online Degree Programs: Business and Accounting,
Computer Information, Criminal Justice, Liberal Arts.
http://gartum.com/clk/yadenibonkiryudaibon

University Alliance Schools:
Accelerated degrees and flexible online courses with streaming
video lectures
http://elilip.com/clk/tuonongzangtuzhuai

American InterContinental University Online:
http://didtal.com/clk/baizhuankanliumei

Regis University Online (MBA Programs):
http://ilatpa.com/clk/ersolfmermanabung

Jacksonville University Online (RN to BSN Programs):
http://ivibra.com/clk/niuxietudangshai

Animated Tour of Sessions.edu:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/links/sessions.html

Online Courses - eLearners.com:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/links/elearners.html

eLearners.com is your key to online distance learning courses,
degrees. Search 27,000+ online & distance learning courses,
degrees, training programs and colleges.

Computer Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources

http://www.intelligentedu.com/
Free I.T. Training Now!

A free and member-based I.T. educational and training portal web
site. We have compiled, categorized, described, and linked many,
many sites that will be of keen interest to computer science
students and instructors and others seeking free training and
knowledge about computers. All areas are covered, from
programming to systems administration to networking to the
internet. You are able to study and learn all about computers and
I.T. via Free training, courses, tutorials, books, guides,
documentation, articles, tips, notes, and help. Also offered are
free technical training tutorials co-branded with
Beginners.uk.co. Check us out today.

Copyright Notice: Please note that all of the items hyperlinked
are copyrighted by their authors and/or publishers. You are
expected to look for, read, and adhere to such notices.
Downloaded and online material is copyrighted whether or not a
copyright notice is present.

*** Intelligentedu.com's Member Site ***
http://www.intelligentedu.com/sign-up/index.html

Our Members' Site contains the web's best computer and IT
training resources and tutorials. This content is individually
linked and presented in a way to expedite and facilitate your IT
learning experience. We have done all the web research and
presentation work for you so you can concentrate solely on your
computer training.

Intelligentedu.com Member Site FAQ:

1. Over half of the web sites and pages in our members site are
not in the free section of our web site. The online training
resources in our members' site are linked and laid out in a much
more detailed fashion than those in the free section. This will
save you time in finding all the best free training on the web.

2. If you use a credit card when joining, it will be billed by
Verotel. When your membership period expires, you will be asked
if you want to renew your membership, you will not be
automatically charged another fee on your credit card or check.

3. You can also use PayPal to sign-up as a member of
Intelligentedu.com, just use this link:
<http://www.intelligentedu.com/links/become_a_member.html>. If you
register to pay $10.00 via PayPal using this method, simply tell
us in the 'Special Instructions' what you want for your user name
and password.

4. If your country is not listed in the drop-down list, please
use 2checkout.com to register as an intelligentedu.com site member
using this link:
<http://www.intelligentedu.com/links/intelinfo_member.html>. I will
then send you an email asking what you would like to use for your
user name and password.

The total price to join our member's site is only $10 total for 6
months. The funds generated will assist us to help all those
seeking IT education and application development training. Here's
the link to see what's available on our member's site and to sign
up: <http://www.intelligentedu.com/sign-up/index.html>. You can email
Scott Turton with questions at scott_turton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources simply send a blank
email to this address:
intelinfo-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(you will need to confirm)

Or go to this web page:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/newsletr_sub_unsub.html

To Unsubscribe from this Free monthly Newsletter of Computer
Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources simply send a blank
email to this address:
(no need to confirm)

Or go to this web page:
http://www.intelligentedu.com/newsletr_sub_unsub.html