[infoshare] taxi advances in new c city

  • From: "Denise C." <quest74@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: infoshare@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 12:20:08 -0400

 Contact:   Don Hoffman (Lighthouse), 212-981-5118

*Partnership leads to accessibility improvements for blind and visually
impaired taxi riders in New York and around the nation*

*April 17, 2012, New York - *In partnership with Creative Mobile
Technologies (CMT) and Lighthouse International, Council Member James Vacca,
Chair of the Council Transportation Committee, and former New York Governor
David A. Paterson today announced groundbreaking software enhancements
designed to enable blind and visually impaired taxi riders to independently
access the credit card payment system and other technology features in New
York's yellow medallion taxicabs as well as taxi fleets around the nation.

CMT created adaptive software that will allow blind or visually impaired
taxi passengers to hear the fare changing in regular intervals during the
trip and facilitate all aspects of the credit card or cash payment functions
upon reaching their destination, including selection of payment options,
verification of fare and selection of tip percentages.

CMT's

audible touch screen system, which can be activated by a special card or by
simply asking the driver, will transform the screen into large,
easy-to-navigate sections that are operated by touch and prompted by
step-by-step spoken instructions.

"I consistently hear that New York City is one of the most difficult places
for blind and visually impaired individuals to navigate," said Vacca.

"The

payment system in taxicabs has been a great improvement for passengers, and
visually impaired riders deserve to enjoy the same benefits of that system.

This nationwide initiative to make taxis more accessible for visually
impaired riders is a major achievement, both for the industry, and for this
community. I want to commend CMT and Lighthouse for making this a priority.

This technology will make a real difference for people who need it."

This software is critical to the blind and visually impaired community's
ability to independently pay taxi fares. Prior to implementation of this new
software, blind and visually impaired passengers who chose to use credit
cards were forced to rely on cab drivers to swipe their card and enter the
correct amount, including tip. Not only is this a violation of current TLC
rules, but also it exposes the visually impaired passenger to the potential
for fraudulent transactions, including overpayment.

"As a blind New Yorker I am part of a community that until now did not
benefit from the convenience of being able to use a credit card in the
city's cabs when the technology was first mandated in 2008," said David A.

Paterson, 55th Governor of the State of New York. "I applaud CMT for
extending electronic payment to an often underserved community by making New
York City taxis independently accessible for the vision impaired.

Council Member James Vacca and Lighthouse International also deserve a great
deal of gratitude for their undying stewardship of this significant issue."

In addition to its NYC rollout, CMT also plans to introduce software in
4,500 credit card and payment systems in taxis around the country including
Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Anaheim, Detroit, Kansas City,
Columbus and Charlotte.  CMT and Lighthouse International will issue blind
and visually impaired individuals a card, compatible with any CMT taxi
nationwide, that will activate the adaptive software, though an activation
card will not be required to engage the system.

"CMT is excited to work alongside Chairman Vacca and Lighthouse
International to produce these innovative software solutions that will
revolutionize the taxi experience for our blind and visually impaired
customers," said Jesse H. Davis, President of Creative Mobile Technologies.

"We are very proud of the CMT team for developing this innovative
technology, and we praise the hard working advocates at Lighthouse
International who provided us with invaluable feedback in shaping its
development and to Chairman Vacca who has demonstrated great leadership on
this issue. We look forward to rolling out this feature in New York City and
in CMT markets throughout the nation."

"This is an excellent example of the private sector working with government
leaders and advocates to voluntarily change a system that has excluded the
independent participation of thousands of people who are blind or visually
impaired for far too long," said Mark G. Ackermann, President and CEO of
Lighthouse International. "We are delighted to have played a role in this
nationwide initiative and will continue working to ensure that every taxi in
the nation is accessible to people with a visual impairment. Many thanks to
Council Member James Vacca for his continued leadership on behalf of people
who are blind and visually impaired and to Creative Mobile Technologies for
their willingness to make this a reality."

"Having a credit card system that talks will make riding in a taxi more
accessible, enabling me to pay by credit card independently. I applaud the
efforts of Council Member Vacca and Creative Mobile Technologies for making
this possible," said Ellen Rubin, independent access consultant.

"We applaud this innovation, which we believe will enhance the ability of
visually impaired New Yorkers to more independently use taxis and to pay for
their trips with credit and debit cards," said Commissioner David Yassky,
Chairman of the Taxi and Limousine Commission. "This is another good example
of leveraging technology to help overcome barriers to accessibility, and we
look forward to working with the tech community to bring further innovation
to taxis with the goal of making taxis more accessible to everyone."

Lighthouse International estimates that the prevalence rate of vision loss
in New York City is 362,000. This number will only increase because of the
aging population and age-related causes of visual impairment and blindness,
as well as blindness due to uncontrolled diabetes.

 This announcement is the latest in a string of pro-accessibility measures
championed by Vacca, whose own father was blind. On March 28, the New York
City Council passed three bills aimed at improving mobility for blind and
low vision individuals navigating the city. Vacca's bill, Introduction 745,
requires the Department of Transportation to post maps of major street
redesigns on its website in a format accessible for people with sight and
hearing disabilities. Lighthouse International played a major role in
securing the passage of this legislation, which Mayor Bloomberg will sign
today at 5 p.m. in the Governor's Room at City Hall.

*About Lighthouse International:*

Founded in 1905, Lighthouse International is a leading non-profit
organization dedicated to fighting vision loss through prevention, treatment
and empowerment. It achieves this through clinical and rehabilitation
services, education, research and advocacy. For more information about
vision loss and its causes, contact Lighthouse International at
1-800-829-0500 or visit www.lighthouse.org <http://www.lighthouse.org/> .

*About Creative Mobile Technologies (CMT):* Founded in New York City in 2005
by taxi industry leaders, Creative Mobile Technologies (CMT) provides more
than 20,000 taxicabs in 60 cities and

35

states with a variety of taxi technologies and enhancements including credit
and debit card processing, media and advertising content, text messaging,
interactive passengers maps, GPS, electronic trip sheets and

back-office fleet management systems. CMT has more than 6,600 units in New
York City alone.  CMT's unique "for the industry, by the industry"

business

model has empowered taxi fleets and individual taxi operators throughout the
country with customized solutions born out of the company's deep roots in
the taxi industry.  CMT's FREEdom Solution integrates all of the technology
including dispatching, banking and media components that has helped to bring
the American taxi industry into a new era of efficiency and innovation.

###

http://www.lighthouse.org/news/press-releases/vacca?utm_source=Copy+of+Copy+
of+Copy+of+Email+Created+2012%2F05%2F07%2C+12%3A56+PM
<http://www.lighthouse.org/news/press-releases/vacca?utm_source=Copy+of+Copy
+of+Copy+of+Email+Created+2012%2F05%2F07%2C+12%3A56+PM&utm_campaign=Veterans
+Dialogue+Email+1&utm_medium=email>
&utm_campaign=Veterans+Dialogue+Email+1&utm_medium=email

Amy F. Peterson

Senior Attorney

Equip for Equality

20 N. Michigan Avenue