[infoshare] help getting materials from HRA in accessible formats

  • From: Rachel <rachel720@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 19:29:35 -0400

People who are blind and those with vision impairments have a right to government documents in alternative formats!

The Americans with Disabilities Act requires State and local government agencies to provide written materials in alternative formats to people with disabilities who need them to access the information in those materials. This obligation applies to the New York City Human Resources Administration, which is the City Medicaid and Food Stamp agency, as well as other City and State government agencies.

        An alternative format can be:


                Large print

Electronic documents in a text format that can be read by a screen reader
                DVD with a soundtrack

                Audio cassette

                A qualified reader to read to you

                Other formats

Agencies do not have to give you your first choice of formats but do have to give you materials in a format that works for you.

To get agency materials in other formats, ask for them in writing and keep a copy of the letter.

The National Center for Law and Economic Justice (NCLEJ) can help you ask for materials in alternative formats from HRA. If you would like our help, contact:

Cary LaCheen, NCLEJ, 212-633-6967 or lacheen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:furnish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:glass@xxxxxxxxxx

NCLEJ may also be able to help you if you have already asked for materials in alternative formats and the agency said no.

Other related posts:

  • » [infoshare] help getting materials from HRA in accessible formats - Rachel