[infoshare] Fwd: Nokia perfects the clicky tactile touchscreen

  • From: "Denise C." <quest74@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: infoshare@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:19:14 -0400

Nokia perfects the clicky tactile touchscreen - iPhone gnashes teeth,
swears
revenge

It's taken them 10 years but Nokia boffins have finally perfected a
'touch
feedback' touchscreen. Don't be fooled by simple vibrational imitations
folks, this is the real McCoy - you press a key on the screen, and it
clicks
under your finger with exactly the same sort of fingertip feedback as if
you'd pressed a conventional keyboard key. Roope Takala, Senior Program
Manager at Nokia's research labs gave me a demo of the technology in
Finland
the other day on a hacked N770 Internet tablet.

"The basic technology is not that difficult," he explained, "We inserted
two
small piezo sensor pads under the screen and engineered in a 0.1mm
movement
in the screen itself. What's taken the time has been fine tuning the
movement and response to mimic exactly the sensation of pressing a real
key."

The problem in perfecting the tech - codenamed Haptikos, meaning 'to
touch'
- lies in how our fingers experience a key press. We actually feel two
movements, in and out, and these movements and the associated audio have
be perfectly attuned to the speed and responsiveness of a real keyboard.
In
use, the touch feedback on the demo device was near on perfect. Each
press
of a key returned a clunky click and tactile snap on the touchscreen,
which
made typing feel incredibly responsive and very usable on the smooth
screen
surface. In fact it was hard to remember that you were using a
touchscreen
keyboard.

"Funnily enough, although you think you're typing faster than normal
because
of the feedback, in actual fact you're not," said Takala, "There's just
some
sort of mental satisfaction that comes from typing with a tactile
response."

The new Haptikos technology will apparently be shipped with the upcoming
Nokia S60 Touch phone that has been shown off at recent demos, and the
team
is busy working on the next challenge, which is to provide exact tactile
replicas for scrolling and draw/paint programs. The problem is that
while we
expect and need ultra fast responses for keyboard use, navigation and
things
like drag scrolling require a different, slower response map, which is
another hurdle for the engineers to overcome.

"What's nice is that people who are new to handheld devices don't even
notice this technology at first," says Takala with a smile. "But they
really
miss it if you take it away from them once they've experienced it. It's
kind
of addictive."

One thing I can say is that this is the first technology I've seen and
played with which could genuinely revolutionise the use of handheld
devices
in general. The ability to touch type at reasonable speeds on a
touchscreen
is something which every phone, PDA and handheld computer manufacturer
would
give their right arm for, and it looks as though the technology is about
reach the marketplace with a bang. I can't wait.