[infoshare] Fw: Fred's Head from APH: Special Notice: APH Demo Disc 2010 Infected with Virus

  • From: "Luis Guerra" <free_speech@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 17:46:43 -0400

Discard APH Demo Disc 2010 Immediately

We regret to report that The APH Demo Disc 2010 contains a virus. The APH
Demo Disc is a CD-ROM that contains catalogs and demonstration software. The
affected
disc has a light blue background and says ©2010. The braille label on the
sleeve is also dated 2010. If you received this disc by mail or picked it up
at the recent ACB, NFB, or NEA conferences, PLEASE DISCARD IT IMMEDIATELY.

Detailed Information about Virus

The name of the virus is Win32/Prolaco.

Fortunately, your computer will not be infected with this virus immediately
upon inserting the APH Demo Disc 2010. The only way to infect your system is
to click the demo software link on the Demo Disc startup screen, and then
click the link to install the demo of Verbal View of Windows XP. The only
file
on the disc affected by the virus is the Verbal View of Windows XP demo.

If you attempt to install the Verbal View of Windows XP demo, and you have
up-to-date virus software installed, you should be warned about the presence
of the virus immediately.

Please Take the Following Steps

list of 3 items
1. Discard the APH Demo Disc 2010.
2. Completely scan your system with up-to-date virus detection software. One
antivirus program that detects Win32/Prolaco with a general scan is the
Microsoft
Security Essentials. This antivirus software is both free and accessible.
You may obtain more information about safe computer practices, virus
detection,
and download Microsoft Security Essentials at
http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx.

3. If you do inadvertently run the Verbal View of Windows XP .exe file and
you do not have virus detection software running, this virus will spread
itself
multiple ways, including via email messages with infected attachments,
downloading software that may appear to be real programs, and by turning off
security
settings on your Windows machine.
list end

If your machine has been infected, update your antivirus software and then
run it again to remove the infection.

Replacing the APH Demo Disc 2010

APH will create a new 2010 Demo Disc and label it clearly in both print and
braille. We will distribute this clean disc later in the summer.

About APH Antivirus Procedures

Note that APH always virus scans the discs it produces, as was the case with
the 2010 Demo Disc, but some virus detection software does not detect the
Win32/Prolaco
virus during a general scan. Fortunately, antivirus software will detect
this virus if you attempt to install the infected program Verbal View of
Windows
XP.

Due to this issue, we are reviewing our antivirus procedures.

Our Sincere Apologies

We regret any inconvenience this infected disc may have caused. At APH, we
care about our customers and we will be happy to work with you further to
resolve
any issues concerning this virus.

Please contact
cs@xxxxxxx