[infoshare] FW: Notice of Class Action in lawsuit against SSA

  • From: Rachel <rachel720@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Recipient list suppressed:;
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 23:08:25 -0500

Dear Colleagues:

This email requests your assistance in distributing the attached Notice
of Class Certification in a matter that is currently before the federal
district court in San Francisco and is further described below.  Please
forgive any cross-listings of this request that may arise through our
efforts to be thorough.

Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund (DREDF) and co-counsel
initiated a lawsuit on behalf of people with visual disabilities against
the Social Security Administration (SSA) for failing to provide
materials in alternate formats such as Braille, large font print,
accessible computer disk, and/or audio-recording that Plaintiffs require
to participate in SSA's programs (e.g., social security insurance, SSI).
Our clients are 10 individual plaintiffs and the American Council of the
Blind.  Plaintiffs' claims are brought under Section 504 of the
Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and our co-counsel include the National
Senior Citizens Law Center and Disability Rights Oregon.

Our Motion for Class Certification was granted on September 11, 2008,
and as part of his order, J. Alsup required Notice of Class
Certification.  It is somewhat unusual for notice of class certification
to be required in a case such as ours, which does not involve damages,
requests only injunctive relief, and does not require any action from
class members in order to benefit from any remedial relief awarded.  The
attached notice of class certification was approved by J. Alsup on
October 3, 2008.  We are requesting your assistance in distributing the
notice since we believe that many of your clients and members are
included within the class and will be interested in the information
contained in the notice.

Would you please post the attached notice on your own organizational
website until December 31, 2008, and include a copy of the notice in any
organizational electronic or print newsletters or information materials
that you will distribute to your members or clients before the end of
the year?  We would also very much appreciate your passing on this
request via email or internal listserv to any local affiliates of your
organization.

Thank you very much for any assistance you can provide with the above
request.  Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about
the case, the above request, or the notice itself.  Additional
information is also available at www.dredf.org.

Best,

Silvia Yee

Staff Attorney

Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund

2212 Sixth Street

Berkeley, CA  94710

Voice/TTY: 510-644-2555

Fax: 510-841-8645