[infoshare] Address Translator - Geographic Information by Address - NYC Department of City Planning

  • From: Eliza Cooper <eliza.l.cooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: infoshare@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 20:56:46 -0400

Hi Infoshare,
I am new to the city, so I may be the only one who doesn't know about this handy feature, but I'll share it anyway in hopes that this is, indeed, a hidden treasure. I recently learned, from a blind couple, that there is an address translator on NYC's website that will tell you where any address in the city is. For example, I entered my address, and it told me (correctly) that it is between 2nd and 1st Avenues on the right side of the street if you're walking toward 1st Avenue. It also has information like which district the address is in and all sorts of political info like that. This will be huge for me, because it means that whenever I am going somewhere new, I'll know for sure what side of the street it's on. I happen to have a gps program that does this, too, but sometimes it's wrong. I hope others will find this useful, as well, and please see the link below my signature.
   Eliza
http://gis.nyc.gov/dcp/at/f1.jsp