IndAeMed_F: Re: Postmortem lividity

  • From: USM Bish <bish@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: indaemed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 20:49:55 +0530

Thru IndAeMed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:
   On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 05:55:27PM +0530, SS Mishra wrote:

[Lots snipped]

> I agree it  is not hydrostatic lividity. Most  likely it occurs
> due to  still intact  hemoglobin (and  its reaction  products),
> escaping into tissue spaces from torn capillaries (likely to be
> because of explosive accn,  rather than explosive fragmentation
> (as in  that case  we will get  nothing barring  mangled tissue
> pieces).

Yes, this is it. One of  the most fragile capillaries lie under
nail  beds  which would  give  way  with slightest  of  trauma,
causing the blood  to come under the nailbed. It  is this blood
which  undergoes  subsequent  discolouration   to  produce  the
bluish-purple hue.

> And  Bish  Sir,   not  expected  from  you.   Isn't  Physiology
> principles  of physics  and  chemistry  applied to  the  living
> organism?  How can  physiology  function  independently of  the
> physical and chemical phenomena?

In  the  most  fundamental  sense, what  you  say  is  correct;
perhaps, I have  not conveyed it correctly. We  have a tendency
to explain  everything on  a physiological  basis; viz.  a blue
hand would indicate  "cyanosis" and go into  things like oxygen
debt  and  tissue metabolism.  Whereas,  in  this case,  it  is
different, and should  be explained on basic  sciences, instead
of going to the next step, where physiological factors would be
at play.

Bish

To send messages to the full list please send to IndAeMed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To view the archive of messages on this list please visit:
//www.freelists.org/archives/indaemed/

To add/change/remove your addresses/names please write to
Anirudh Agrawal at : anirudh_a@xxxxxxxxxxx
Alternate List : IndAeMed@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Webpage of this List at : http://www.AvMedNet.Net
ISAM Web Page at: http://www.ISAM-India.org