IndAeMed_F: Re: List Archives Available Online

  • From: USM Bish <bish@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: indaemed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 23:35:32 +0530

Thru IndAeMed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:
   On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 06:32:10PM +0530, AvMedNet wrote:

> > Only one thing  anirudh. Moderation takes away  the flavour and
> > is  not desirable.  It  can't be  that  the  webmaster is  more
> > responsible than  the others on  the list.  I am sure  the list
> > would be better off with harsh truths instead sugar coated half
> > truths.I am sure each individual can take his pick and moderate
> > and discount  for him self  if something was  an over-reaction,
> > harsh  truth  or  personal  remark.And  ofcourse  one  has  the
> > greatest option of them all 'TO REMAIN SILENT'.
>
> it  is not  for filtering  out truths  - only  to preserve  the
> academic content of the discussion MINUS the personal side
>
> it is not for  the webmaster to moderate - wouldn't  do it even
> if asked to
>
> will only put the stuff on the site  - but i too feel that some
> moderation is required.

There are two issues here, and  both independent of each other.

o Issue #1, is the question of online archive.
o Issue #2, is that of moderated content display.

Issue #1: This  is an automated process for  nearly all mailing
list software. Depending  upon the software being  used, it can
be one of these only:

Provider definable:
a) Online archive = NO (like coollist, as on date)
b) Online archive = YES (no switch off facilities unless speci-
   fically set that way by mail-list provider) (?freelists)

User defineable:
c) Either YES or NO (in software like GNU mailman).

I am not aware of what  freelists provides (probably running on
encartis). It looks more like option (b) to me.  In which case,
online archive  in unaltered  state will  be there  whether one
likes it or not. No moderation is possible here since the whole
process is  automated on  receipt of each  mail by  the mailing
list software itself. The goose here is  cooked even before the
cooks can think of putting their pudgy fingers into it !!!

Issue #2: Moderated  content display. This is  totally a manual
process and has  nothing to do with the mailing list per se. It
is a matter of content milking. If there are takers why not ...

Issue #3: All else are non-issues ;-)

Bish

--
:
Wg Cdr (Retd) US Mohalanobish         bish@xxxxxxxxxxx

To view the archive of messages on this list please visit:
//www.freelists.org/archives/indaemed/

To add/change/remove your addresses/names please write to
Anirudh Agrawal at : anirudh_a@xxxxxxxxxxx
Alternate List : IndAeMed@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Webpage of this List at : http://www.AvMedNet.Net
ISAM Web Page at: http://www.ISAM-India.org