[Ilugc] linux installation
- From: praveen@xxxxxxxxxxx (Praveen)
- Date: Thu Jun 24 16:40:01 2004
iliasahmed a wrote:
firstly I have installed Redhat 9.0, it worked very fine, when i installed
windows xp next after finishing, i am not able to get grub boot load which i
have installed during redhat installation. How to restore linux
GRUB is overwritten by Windows XP. Do the following steps to recover
* Boot with the RedHat 9 first CD and type 'linux rescue' in the boot
prompt. The installer (anaconda) will mount your RedHat installation
* Type 'chroot /mnt/sysimage' in the rescue shell that you get.
* Open '/boot/grub/menu.lst' in your favourite editor and add the
following lines to the end it it.
title Microsoft Windows XP
Note: I assumed you installed Windows to hda1. If you have doubt do
'fdisk -l /dev/hda' to find the your C:
hda1 -> (hd0,0)
hda2 -> (hd0,1)
and so on.
* Then type 'grub-install /dev/hda'. It will report that installation of
* Reboot using 'reboot' command and you will be getting GRUB with two
entries one for Linux and other for Windows.
Other related posts: