[Ilugc] Installing applications without root
- From: sridharinfinity@xxxxxxxxx (Sridhar R)
- Date: Mon Jul 19 07:56:52 2004
Suriya Narayanan M S <mssnlayam@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
What is the best way to install and manage applications without root. Is
there way to install all apps under some path say /usrinstalled ?
The main requirement is management of installed software. Can portage be
used? I hope my question is clear.
AFAIK, this is not possible with portage or even apt. Installing in
different prefix is not even possible.
Your options are ..
1. use sudo
2. create a wrapper script which runs emerge or apt-get and set the
uid bit on it.
3. Compile from source and use the home prefix scheme
3. give your users the root password ;)
Sridhar - http://www.cs.annauniv.edu/~rsridhar
Other related posts: