[ilug-cal-website] Re: about us - and other changes

  • From: Surendra Singhi <ssinghi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ilug-cal-website@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 22:51:42 +0530

Hi Mani,

"A. Mani" <a_mani_sc_gs@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sunday 03 Sep 2006 21:45, Surendra Singhi wrote:

>> > That should be there. People who are maintaining the site should be
>> > explicitly named. I am adding it. Wiki is the wrong place.
>>
>> Why? "About Us" defines ilug-cal and not the website. Explicitly naming us
>> looks like cheap publicity, and will give the impression that the 5 of us
>> are controlling/doing everything, which should not be the case, this
>> website should be for and by the members. I removed it, first let us settle
>> and agree whether it should go or not.
>>
> No it is not cheap publicity. It is about accountability.

Accountability to who? Society, then the society knows well who are doing it,
and if they are doing bad, they can be kicked out.
To me it is more like a gimmick to draw attention. Let us discuss it in the
meeting, and ask for other people's opinion.

>That is why it
> should be there. Almost all websites (and even software) put up that part in

Not necessarily, I would say it is the opposite.

> the 'about us' section (in the old site too it was that way). The option is
> to have a separate sections. So please let it be part of it.
>
> We have huge sets of rules to say what is under whose control and we must
> have
> more.

There are no rules AFAIK, only guidelines. Rules need to be passed by members,
one person can propose them, nothing more than that.

>> > Typically 'Objectives' can be a separate static content section. ..but we
>> > have merged it.

thats ok in about us

>> > yes ...putting that chat-log on the front page is crazy (HIDE IT Fast).
>>
>> Why is it crazy?
> That chat -log does not have enough content. It is mainly about problems
> with .org, within ilug-cal and the evolution of .info. It is better to keep
> it a little inside (the link can be on the Front page).

on second thought, yes it was looking ugly, because of its length.

In fact, I think instead of directly showing news on the home page, a brief
description of lug would be helpful.
Below we can have different news items.

Suggestion: don't use strong words "criteria", "crazy", "requirements", "must
be", etc. they offend people, and are rude, not welcoming or worth using in a
team (admin) or society(ilug-cal). As of such, there is not much contribution
from other members, using such words will definitely put them off.

Regards,

--
Surendra Singhi