[ilug-cal-website] Re: about us - and other changes

  • From: "A. Mani" <a_mani_sc_gs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ilug-cal-website@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 22:14:44 +0530

On Sunday 03 Sep 2006 21:45, Surendra Singhi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "A. Mani" <a_mani_sc_gs@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > On Sunday 03 Sep 2006 15:18, Surendra Singhi wrote:
> >> I have also edited "About Us" section and added DPS address.
> >>
> >> Removed admin/CMT thing, I think it doesn't looks good in the About Us
> >> section, it can go somewhere else. I will put it in the wiki.
> >
> > That should be there. People who are maintaining the site should be
> > explicitly named. I am adding it. Wiki is the wrong place.
>
> Why? "About Us" defines ilug-cal and not the website. Explicitly naming us
> looks like cheap publicity, and will give the impression that the 5 of us
> are controlling/doing everything, which should not be the case, this
> website should be for and by the members. I removed it, first let us settle
> and agree whether it should go or not.

No it is not cheap publicity. It is about accountability. That is why it
should be there. Almost all websites (and even software) put up that part in
the 'about us' section (in the old site too it was that way). The option is
to have a separate sections. So please let it be part of it.

We have huge sets of rules to say what is under whose control and we must have
more.

> > Typically 'Objectives' can be a separate static content section. ..but we
> > have merged it.
> >
> >> Any concerns/issues please let us know.
> >
> > yes ...putting that chat-log on the front page is crazy (HIDE IT Fast).
>
> Why is it crazy?
That chat -log does not have enough content. It is mainly about problems
with .org, within ilug-cal and the evolution of .info. It is better to keep
it a little inside (the link can be on the Front page). We must have +ve
content on the 1st page. So please let it be inside. Henceforth all
''please'' should be assumed.

Best

A. Mani
Member, Cal. Math. Soc