[ilug-cal-website] Re: Some links and policy

  • From: "J.P. Mathew" <jpm.nina@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ilug-cal-website@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:57:29 +0530

Hi:
When some content need to be made available locally for the benefit of
users, then we could show the link and if needed acknowledge credit to
the site and then put it on our site. That way you can't call it
plagiarism. I will call it plagiarism if we copy parts of that and
sell it as your property (without any credit or permission of the
author), or if the original document was provided on a restricted site
or published through books.
I liked the article on Networking from ilug-Chennai, wrote to M.K.
Saravanan for permission to put it in our site, but could not get his
current email id. The email id given in the article is old.
Does anyone know where Mr. M.K. Saravanan is?
Regards
JPM

On 8/28/06, Surendra Singhi <ssinghi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
  From the left menu of the site I want to remove the following links:

Projects,
  Right now we have none, its no use keeping links for things, which I don't
see getting populated in near future. Besides Linux in School which is
a project has anyway a menu entry.

Humour,
  If somebody wants to read jokes they can visit some site like

http://www.kreeti.com/jokes/recent

or some other site. I am very mush against this category in main menu, what
does ilug-cal have to do with it.

Linux CD's/DVD's,
   I think this will be better addressed as FAQ question, which I had
originally done, but that entry has now been hidden.

There is a non-technical article supposedly written by A. Mani called "IRC
Primer", and then it clearly copies someone else's content, its almost
plagiarism, and at least this is not the way to present things. Do we have all
the permission. Shouldn't linking to the article be better?
IMO, ilug-cal should take a strong stand on plagiarism or someone else's
rights.

Also, "About Us" section needs to be rewritten. It should give ilug-cal(DPS's)
address, and a better description of the objectives of ilug-cal.

If you disagree with anyone of the above, or don't want them to be removed
please let me know.

Thanks and regards,
--
Surendra Singhi