[ilug-cal-website] Re: Clip-Art, etc

  • From: "A. Mani" <a_mani_sc_gs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ilug-cal-website@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 21:55:59 +0530

On Wednesday 30 Aug 2006 19:28, Surendra Singhi wrote:
> "A. Mani" <a_mani_sc_gs@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > On Wednesday 30 Aug 2006 12:09, Surendra Singhi wrote:
> >
> > The article license allows REPRODUCTION WITHOUT PERMISSION.
>
> OK. But still not netiquette. Also, you are sending wrong signals to other
> users, other people may still copy other article without necessary
> permission.
For elementary articles it makes no sense to bother people, that is one of the
reasons for putting the notification. It is ok to inform the author provided
he is willing to be informed... otherwise it is spam. That is how they behave
on the net. Now determining the necessity of personal verification depends on
the person considering the process...
> What if the primer is updated, will you keep it in sync with
> the original version? I guess you will never even realize that.
That is not that essential in the context. It is fit for a purpose.

> How are we going to lose people? If someone goes to some other website to
> read something, are we losing people? The purpose of the website is to
> help, and not keep users on it. Btw, does Google, Digg, etc. lose people?
Those are big sites with all the infrastructure.
even idg said so.
newbie stumbles on our site --> our site link --> newbie goes to link site -->
newbie sees more links  ---> newbie goes elsewhere
we have no frames... there is no option.

This is a policy matter.

And try to do the modification of the 'written by' part ... it is somewhere
inside.

A. Mani
Member, Cal. Math. Soc