[ilssa] Re: hi everyone! my book and paper arts research roadtrip is about to begin

  • From: Bonnie O'Connell <boconnell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ilssa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 20:52:00 -0500

April,
I can't recall if you mentioned that you would visit Iowa City on your
tour, but if you come that far, Omaha is only another
2 hours west on I-80. I'll be around most of the summer, working at the
University of Nebraska-Omaha Fine Arts Press where I've taught book arts
for 25 years, and would be pleased to share our facility with you. Our
undergrad program in Book Arts offers courses in letterpress printing,
book binding and hand papermaking, and we have two nicely equipped labs.
It would be great to learn about your travels and meet another ILSSA
devotee.

Happy trails,
Bonnie O'Connell

From:
april llewellyn <aprilhl@xxxxxxxxx>
To:
ilssa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:
06/21/2011 12:24 PM
Subject:
[ilssa] hi everyone! my book and paper arts research roadtrip is about to
begin
Sent by:
ilssa-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  As a reminder, I'm soon undertaking a five-week roadtrip to visit arts
centers (mainly book and paper) in the midwest, east coast, and part of
the south.  I'll be talking to people about these places and their
thoughts on the intersections of art/craft/making, gifting, and community
building.  In return for the generous assistance needed for this project,
I'll be making gifts for everyone who participates.   This trip, and the
subsequent gifting, is the beginning of my thesis research for my MFA in
Interdisciplinary Book and Paper Arts at Columbia College Chicago.

My partner Matt is coming along for the ride, and I'm trying to finalize
our travel plans now.  We leave June 29th and will be gone through August
1st (roughly).  You can see the entire list of cities as it's updated
through www.aprilhl.net/roadtrip.

I'm in the midst of recontacting anyone who offered us a tour or hosting
to try to finalize our travel plans.  (and boy, are there a BUNCH of you
in the Northeast!)
if I have not contacted you yet one way or the other, I will soon be doing
so -- I wanted to firm up the first part of the trip before moving on to
other places we are visiting.
I'm erring a bit on the side of overplanning, so if for some reason we
can't take you up on your earlier offer, we understand (though, if we can
see you, we'd still love to!)

I did want to give an update though, on funding -- Kickstarter doesn't
accept travel proposals, and as such, I'm starting with my own
donations/rewards through Paypal.  Every donation helps -- at this point,
I'm estimating costs to run over $1750, and when you're a grad student,
every little bit helps!  I'm accepting donations of any amount, but I have
gifts&rewards from $5 and up!  You can donate directly through this link,
or see more about the gifts&rewards on my main project site at
www.aprilhl.net/roadtrip .

I'm leaving in a week, so all donations before the start of the trip (so I
can gauge interest) would be the most helpful, but you are certainly
welcome to donate through the end of the trip!  However, if you want a
postcard from a specific city, I need your info ASAP!
I'm starting to letterpress commemorative postcards today, which will be
sent out on the trip, and then all other gifts&rewards will be sent after
we get back on August 1st.

Otherwise, I don't want to super spam the group, but you'll be able to
read all the updates to the trip on my website, www.aprilhl.net, and I
also made a small facebook page that will also be getting updates, if that
is your preferred way of contact (it is easier for some things!)

thank you all so much for your generous suggestions and advice.  this trip
wouldn't be possible without the support of people like you!

all the best,

~april hannah llewellyn (aprilhl)

www.aprilhl.net | 256-777-3912
      www.aprilhl.net/roadtrip