[ilssa] Re: LAST CALL for Festival 2011

  • From: rebecca childers <rebeccachilders@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ilssa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 20:46:59 -0700

Count me in!
Rebecca Childers
Seedbed of Irony Press
Eugene, Oregon

On Jun 17, 2011, at 11:24 AM, ILSSA Operator wrote:

So far we have 16 YESes for the Festival to Plead for Skills. So if you were
thinking of bowing out this year because you couldn't quite handle making 50
pieces this year, maybe rethink your participation?

Please let us know if you will participate by next Friday, JUNE 24. And we'll
send out the final number and the updated directory to all participants soon
afterward!

best wishes,
your co-ops

----
ALL ABOUT THE FESTIVAL below
----
email if you have more questions!
----

dear ILSSA,

It is that time of year again! Time for us to count the heads (and hands and
hearts, but we'll stick to heads, as they are easiest to count) of those who
plan to participate in the 3rd Annual Festival to Plead for Skills on Thursday,
July 7, 2011.

As you may already know, each year on the seventh day of the seventh month
ILSSA celebrates its own version of The Festival to Plead for Skills. The
festival is derived from the Chinese holiday of Qi Xi and the Japanese festival
of Tanabata, in which celebrants wish for the betterment of their own
craftsmanship. Instead of wishing, the ILSSA festival is a holiday of
PRACTICING.
We invite all ILSSA Members to observe this holiday by generating some sort of
small object as iterations of their practice. The resulting objects should be
no larger than 2 inches in any dimension, and should be the natural result of
practicing a skill: using a tool, trying a method, honing a technique. Conceive
of this project as something you can complete entirely on July 7th. We imagine
Impractical Laborers spanning the continents, practicing together in observance
of the holiday.

After the Festival, we ask that you mail one of each of your objects to all
other participating members, such that everyone can share in your practice of
that day. (International members, you may send one package of all objects to an
Operator, who will distribute your practice with hers.) To that end, we will
send an updated ILSSA Member Directory of all Directory members in early July,
indicating which members are participating in the Festival. If you have any
address changes, regardless if you're participating in the Festival, be sure to
let us know!

As each member handles his or her own postage and box-making for the
accumulated objects (see template below) there is NO FEE to participate. But in
order for all members to know how many objects to make, we do need a headcount!
So please write directly to operator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to let us know if
you're a YES.

*AND*
another festival-related invitation:
Did you participate in the 2010 Festival? Would you like to make a guide to the
festival objects: a simple affair that shows images of objects and their
corresponding statements? (See the below 2009 Guide for reference.) If you'd
delight in making 75-100 copies of such a thing, write your co-operators at
operator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx We are happy of course to cover your (modest!)
material expenses. (Perhaps you didn't participate in the 2009 Festival and
thus did not receive the 2009 guide. If you'd like a copy, email us! We have a
limited quantity available, first come first served.)

*other news*
We are ashamed that you do not yet have in your hands the last 2010 Quarterly,
but we co-operators will together be sitting and *hand addressing* those at the
end of May, so we can guarantee they will be in your hands within the first
weeks of June.

And, btw, have you renewed for 2011? This Quarterly will be your last mailing
if you have not, and we would be so sorry to lose you from our ranks. We'd also
be disheartened to remind you that if you do not renew, you will receive no
more publications from us, you will not be listed on the website, nor in the
directory, and thus will not receive anything from the Festival, nor would you
be eligible to participate in the 2012 exhibition at St Mary's. Gosh! It is SO
WORTH the $12, not to mention we need you to stay strong! (to renew:
http://www.impractical-labor.org/join.html, select "2011 membership", and write
a note via Paypal stating you're a renewal, and THANKS.)

yours ever impractically,
the co-operators

<perennial-invitation.pdf>
<guide.jpeg>