[IGDA LCPP] Re: Ack!

  • From: "Chris Morris" <chrisunl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: igda_lcpp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 13:07:29 +0000

Sorry I haven't responded for a while - the group mails are suddenly being directed to my lesser used hotmail account - I hadn't checked it for a while.

I'll document the A.I. stuff (i'll start with behavoural code for entities in the game).

Chris

From: "Mike Lee" <mlk@xxxxxxxxx>
To: igda_lcpp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [IGDA LCPP] Re: Ack!
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 01:08:10 +0100 (MET)

> I'm finding it very difficult to make tech
> notes to be honest. For instance, initially I thought the intro
> training level described in the GDD will enable me to document what we
> want to use from the sdk for our game.

From a game-logic POV, we should be able to pick out all the key features we
need to implement from the GDD as it stands.

> there is just so much information in the source code
> its overwhelming.

Aye. Thats why I came up "The basics" list of classes & concepts. To be
completely honest, I don't think we shall have time to document more than
the basics before deadline.

> I looked at MLK's
> GameEntity doc and thats fine, as its a BaseEntity class we know we're
> going to have to use it, and the information provided by MLK is
> concise and pertinent. I've chosen to do graphics, and I was looking

Ta :), If you are stuck for stuff to do, you could always do one of the
other Base* classes :D

> thru the graphics classes. I've come across bump-map code,
> pixel/vertex shader code, lighting code, but are we going to use all
> of this? Also most of the visual effects will probably done by the

Not being a graphics man, I've no idea what is considered "the basics" in
the graphics world. For now I'd stick to docing that, I know it is dull as
<explitive/>, but it needs to be done.

I'm guessing this would be setting models & animations, changing basic
rendering modes, sprites/billboards, maybe accessing the graphics context.
Then move on to outlining the fun stuff. Just classes of intrest (like The
class C_FunkyEffect in file funkyeffect.h does funky effect), then expand
when we have more details from the GDD++ and/or concept art (or if it is a
funky effect you are really intrested in, doc it anyway, and crowbar it into
the game :D )

Anyway, that is my thoughts on it.

Mike

--
Mike Lee [ mlk@xxxxxxxxx ]
"Life's not fair, But the root password helps." -BOFH

DSL Komplett von GMX +++ Supergünstig und stressfrei einsteigen!
AKTION "Kein Einrichtungspreis" nutzen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

_________________________________________________________________ Express yourself with cool new emoticons http://www.msn.co.uk/specials/myemo