[IGDA LCPP] Re: A very small part of the first draft of the TDD

  • From: Dean Butcher <mathematix@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: igda_lcpp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 02:24:49 +0000

Hi all

The are all great questions! As I'd mentioned before with the SDK and
as far as I can see, we are only tweaking parameters at a high level -
all the detail of implementation is actually hidden in the core game
engine. We cannot modify Havok's interpretation of elementary physical
laws, as was predicted a while back, but we do have a surprising
amount of control over such parameters being able to control
velocities, collisions, rotations, etc. The details of the
implementation of such effects are obscured in the implementation of
the Havok engine.

There are also a number of empty function definitions that give the
programmer freedom with implementation detail across all aspects of
the modification (graphics, sound, for example). I've noticed in the
source (soundenvelope.cpp) that we have complete freedom to import
sounds. Likewise fir textures and AI.

So, in conclusion:

1. Do you know what we would need to do to implement a new vehicle?
Are details like the number of whells taken into consideration?

We need the vehicles physical characteristics: weight and dimentions
(for an example, see  vehicle_airboat.cpp) and textures. Things like
the number of wheels are included in the source (vehicle_jeep.cpp).

2. Are there multiple physics models?

Yep! The individual bone for ragdoll physics and the various types of
explosions all have their own models - including vehicles and any
other class of individual entity.

3. So what can we do to lessen the load (simplify collision detection
(BBox over X over BSP trees)?

We can only control the load by limiting the content of our view
volume, as suggested by your frineds. :)

4. What will we have to tell the level designer is the max? As I
understand it, this is what the TDD will need (please correct me if
I'm wrong).

Because of the question above, this is a perfectly valid query.

These questions will need fuller answers for the TDD, of course, but
we do have more freedom with the engine than we think. :)

Cheers
Dean.