[IGDA LCPP] Re: A very small part of the first draft of the TDD

  • From: "Lee, Michael" <michael.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'igda_lcpp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <igda_lcpp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:16:35 -0000

Hi all,
        Kunal, as we have way more than our quota of "Michaels", it would be
easier if I remain either "Mike" or "Michael". :)

> For that Mikey, we must write our own code
> by extending their available classes

I know, this is not what we can do, but what we might _not_ be able to do.
Do you know what we would need to do to implement a new vehicle? (from what
I've read this should be fairly simple, but still I want the classes we need
to extend, and the text files we need to write), but how will the engine
take to bits of cars flying about. How many can it handle (as I said, I've
not seen the engine handle large numbers of objects in the air, from reports
from friends it looks like Source DM was struggling with 8 players with grav
guns, I want lots of destuction darn it :D ).
While I'm sure you are both great programmers, I don't think we'll be able
to improve on Havok. So what can we do to lessen the load (simplify
collision detection (BBox over X over BSP trees)? Are there multiply physics
models? If so, can we use a simpler one for this scene; does the engine
suport multiply simutamusly (full on for lorry, simple for burn out cars)).
And at a last resort, what will we have to tell the level designer is the
max? As I understand it, this is what the TDD will need (please correct me
if I'm wrong).

Do any other limitations exist, like vehicles only have four wheels, what do
we need to do to up that to the six required, or will our lorry be stuck
with four.

I don't want to step on anyones toes here. I'm just tring to clear things
up.

Michael Lloyd Lee
Night IT Support Analyst
Xtreme News
Mail: michael.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: www.xtremenews.co.uk
Dir: 020 7575 1742
Fax: 020 7575 6103
Add: 89½ Worship Street, London, EC2A 2BF