IEEE Exec: Re: URGENT

  • From: "Sean T. Brady" <sean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ieee-exec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 20:05:06 -0500

IEEE Execs:

My response to Kyle can be found below.  The only responses that have been
received by 8pm tonight were from Pirone, Kyle, Dr. Singh, and Myself.
Kyle, we'll talk tonight to see if we can further discuss the issue.  I'll
email everyone again with the resolution.

Here's my view:

> I'm not so sure I like the idea of combining this event with the
> ACM...I know speaking for myself that I am not interested in going to
> grad school for computer science and really wouldn't want to hear a
> presentation predominantly directed towards CS majors as I am sure an
> event put together by the ACM with input from the IEEE at the very
> last minute would entail.
Neither our event nor the ACM's event would be directed strictly towards
engineering or computer science.  Both myself (I don¹t know about the rest
of the IEEE) and the ACM feel that a discussion about TECHNICAL grad school
would be largely the same no matter if the audience is EE, CPE, CS, or MIS
majors.

> I know that there is a tremendous interest in this event amongst the
> junior class and we would be able to support our own event.  Plus -
> aren't we trying to spend our money?? Having our own event would get
> rid of a bit more of it that sponsoring a co-event.
I'm not as concerned about using our budget as much as I am about pulling of
a valuable event and building a good relationship with the ACM.

>It just sounds like it's a cop-out to not have our own.
You say cop-out, I say synergy...

>I feel that we need to present ECE grad school options.
See above.  Also, how are ECE grad school options different from CS grad
school options.  As far as I can see, these are the options no matter the
technical major:
-5 year program
-full time grad school
-part time grad school