IEEE Exec: Elections

  • From: "Sean Brady" <sean.brady@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ieee-exec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 17:25:40 -0500

Hey All,

Regarding elections, as an IEEE branch it is accepted that a formal, popular
election be held as opposed to an interview process.  In order to avoid the
popularity contest, the voting body will have a group discussion about each
candidate prior to bringing any position to a vote.  Also, only OFFICIAL
IEEE members can run and/or vote or positions on the IEEE @ VU Executive
Board.

Dr. Singh and I were thinking that the election should be held directly
following Friday's event to ensure maximum participation.  The problem is
that sophomores have a test that afternoon which would preclude ANY rising
junior to run.  Any ideas?

I see our options as follows:
1) Have the election and allow sophomores to submit letters of
intent/speeches to be presented on Friday.
2) Have elections at a time different from our planned event and risk very
low participation.
3) Have a beer party.

Let me know what you think.

Sean