[ideas-refugees] Re: I-DEAS launcher (bat file) and customizations?

  • From: tcoates <tcoates@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: ideas-refugees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 16:29:03 -0400

Mark,
I don't set system variables in the batch file that runs every time that I-DEAS is started. I set them in the batch file that I use to install I-DEAS on each client, (GTAC can send you a sample .bat file for installing the I-DEAS clients).

You can set your System variables manually on one client, (Rt click MyComputer - Properties - Advanced - Environment Variables) then export a env.reg file from the Windows registry. You can then use that file to set the variables on each of the other clients. I put the following two lines at the end of my client install .bat file:

 REM: Set site-specific I-DEAS system variables.
 call "M:\ideas\nx_ideas_5\Batch\NXI5env.reg"

My NXI5env.reg file looks like this: (contents between the dashed lines below)
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]
"SDRC_GDRDEFS"="m:\\ideas\\jlablib\\conf"
"SDRC_MPATHS"="M:\\ideas\\nx_ideas_5\\SDRCHelp"
"UGS_LICENSE_BUNDLE"="A026G"
"UGS_LICENSE_SERVER"="28000@ccs19"

You could simply test this, on Windows XP system as follows:
Copy the above text into a file in Notepad, and save the file as "NXI5env.reg". Then copy the two .bat file lines above into a different file in Notepad, edit the path to your NXI5env.reg and save the file as "test.bat".
Then run test.bat.
Then go to (Rt click MyComputer - Properties - Advanced - Environment Variables) and see that the new variables are listed there.
You will probably want to delete those new variables next.

Actually - Now that you have the format of the env.reg file, you don't have to export your own environment file. You could just edit the "NXI5env.reg" above and enter in your own variables and values. Rerun your test.bat to test it.

Todd

Landin, Mark wrote:
Very clever. Awesome! Thanks!

So in my batch file I can override the various default environment settings
that were set by the IDEAS.wsf file?