[PCB_FORUM] Re: symbols form libraries and BRD database

  • From: Michael Catrambone <mcatramb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 23:11:43 +0000 (UTC)

William,

I think I am following what you are saying.  I don't think this has anything to
do with the library paths or the symbols in your library.  Basically, when you
use clipboard copy from one design it grabs the symbol as it is defined in that
design not the library.  Now if you clipboard paste it into another design the
symbols will be based from the old design and not the external / embedded
libraries because the symbol structure is contained in the clipboard file.
This means that the name of the placed symbols will be the same but one will
have exploded but linked symbol elements while the other will be based on the
embedded libraries in the .brd.  Hopefully that makes sense.  Lot of words but
I hope you get the idea.  I can see if your library changed from having the
symbol origin based on Pin 1 and they changed to Body Center it would look very
wrong.  Using Display > Element on the symbol that came in from the Clipboard
Paste will indicate "The following pins(s) have been edited:" which tells that
they have been exploded from the symbol and no longer match the embedded
libraries.

One suggestion to quickly get the design back to normal is to do the following:

1) Clipboard paste the reused circuit

2) Export a placement file using File > Export > Placement and be sure to
select the Placement Origin "Body Center"

3) Delete the symbols that came in from the Clipboard.

4) Place the symbols that you deleted in the previous step using File > Import
> Placement and be sure to select the Placement Origin "Body Center" again.

These steps will place the component based on the Body Center and the symbols
will be then driven by the embedded library in the .brd if they already exist.
You will not need use Refresh Symbols unless you want to update your design
with the external libraries on disk.

Hope this helps,

Mike Catrambone

Hope this helps,