[PCB_FORUM] Re: no dc pwr pins hooked to gnd

  • From: "richard moffat" <richard.moffat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 10:10:01 +1300

If it thinks some nets should be a DC net, it will give a warning.  I
believe it's based on the number of pins that have a PINUSE of POWER or
GROUND.

An example of this may be a filtered supply going to a power pin of an
IC.  The primary side of the supply may be defined with a dc voltage,
but not the secondary, as it is usually given a system-defined netname
in the schematic.

Hope my ascii-art holds out (view in courier):
                          ___________
            ind          |           |
3v3_in -----mmm----------|Pwr-in     |
        |         |      |           |
        =         =      |___________|
        |         |

The netname into the ic is not 3v3_in anymore because of the inductor.
Thefore, it was probably not assigned as a DC Net in the Setup Advisor.
However, because the filtered supply may be going to several power pins
or ics, it warns you it should probably be defined as a DC net.

It's usually nothing to worry about.  However, it's useful to read it
in case you forgot to define something like GND and the Topology Editor
goes spastic and crashes.

Cheers,
Richard

>>> kmccowan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 9/03/2005 9:34:51 a.m. >>>
Did you ever get an answer to this?
If so I never saw it. I would guess that you
don't have any input on the power net.
If you got it solved, what was the answer?

TSI Telsys

sjcharles@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I read email and it doesn't make sense , let me add a little more,
this is while in PCB si, setup advisor, I guess its more of a warning,
"following dc nets contain no power or gnd pin"
> thanks
>
>>From: <sjcharles@xxxxxxx>
>>Date: 2005/03/03 Thu PM 05:15:08 EST
>>To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>Subject: [PCB_FORUM] no dc pwr pins hooked to gnd
>>
>>Group, while going through setup dc nets we get error "no dc nets
hooked to power pins". We're bringing the power on board through bananna
jacks. Anything we can do to fix this error?
>>Thanks

>>To view the archives of this list please login at
>>//www.freelists.org. Our list name is icu-pcb-forum
>>or go to //www.freelists.org/archives/icu-pcb-forum/
>>
>>Problems or Questions:
>>      Send an email to icu-pcb-forum-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>>Want to post a job listing ?  DON'T DO IT HERE!
>>Better yet, join our jobs listing forum.
>>
>>SUBSCRIBE:  icu-jobs-forum-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxx
>>POST:       icu-jobs-forum@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> To view the archives of this list please login at
> //www.freelists.org. Our list name is icu-pcb-forum
> or go to //www.freelists.org/archives/icu-pcb-forum/
>
> Problems or Questions:
>       Send an email to icu-pcb-forum-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Want to post a job listing ?  DON'T DO IT HERE!
> Better yet, join our jobs listing forum.
>
> SUBSCRIBE:  icu-jobs-forum-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxx
> POST:       icu-jobs-forum@xxxxxxxxxx

notify Allied Telesyn Research Ltd immediately.
be the views of Allied Telesyn Research.