[PCB_FORUM] Re: mouse challenge!

  • From: "Gary MacIndoe" <gary.macindoe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 09:35:06 -0600

Alan,

I've been a mouse jockey now for a little under eighteen years.  Almost all
of that has been manual routing, eight hours a day, seven days a week etc.

A few years after I started, I felt like I was starting to get carpal
tunnel.  I knew I had to avoid it, so I figured out that my technique was
not ergonomically correct!  I got a wrist rest, set up my desk and chair to
keep my forearm at the correct height to not have a bend in my wrist etc.
The feeling of carpal tunnel started to go away and has never come back!
Sometimes during especially intense work (routing like a mad dog!), my wrist
starts to hurt a bit, so I just stop and move it around and massage it.

I really think the mouse you use will make a difference, since we spend many
hours a day using it.  I have come to the conclusion that the Logitech hand
specific mouse is the best for lots of mouse work.  I use a right handed
MX510 and it keeps the hand in the correct position and is very easy to grab
and has great button/click action.

Gook luck either way, staying with the trackball or back to a mouse, hope
the carpal tunnel goes away!

Regards,

Gary E. MacIndoe

PCB Design Engineer