[PCB_FORUM] Re: drill symbols

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 16:48:39 -0500

Hi Leonard,

The only problem I have with a blanket "finished hole size" is that this
gives the fabricator freedom to drill any size they want, which may cause
unwanted spacing issues/DRC violations.  DRC is done using what you have
specified as a drill size, unless you have oversized them accordingly in
your design.  And, if you have, you might want to put that information on
the print that the hole may not be drilled more than .00n" over (what ever
the oversize in your design is), therefore specifying a limit to their
ability to oversize the hole.

Personally, I specify all hole sizes >= 20 mils is actual drill size, not
finished size.  All holes above 20 mils are finished size.  There is an
issue with press-fit connectors that, if you are using, you might want to
explore.

Regards,

Austin