[PCB_FORUM] Re: X-Keys 20 key, any good?

  • From: "Baumstark Michael-EMB043" <M.Baumstark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:25:41 -0400

Still another idea.

Have you ever considered using the 315,000 plus, function key solution?
Granted there are a few select commands that work great off of a single
function key execution. However, I simply find them hard to remember if
I start using too many of them.

So what I have done is set up over 200 functions, that I can remember
with an intuitive alpha-numeric sequence. For me, it works great and I
will never go back the the CTRL, Shift, Alt Function key solution;
although I still use a select few.

I have a mixed use model of macros that I have recorded along with a
preferred set of commands. These  are assigned in a similar way as you
would do an alias command.

However, I use the "funckey"  assignment to accomplish this. Here is a
small sample of functions that I have macros assigned to.

#

funckey pkoo replay package_keepout_on.scr

funckey pkox replay package_keepout_off.scr

funckey pkoto replay package_keepout_top_on.scr

funckey pkotx replay package_keepout_top_off.scr

funckey pkobo replay package_keepout_bottom_on.scr

funckey pkobx replay package_keepout_bottom_off.scr

#

funckey vkoo replay via_keepout_on.scr

funckey vkox replay via_keepout_off.scr

The nice thing about using multi character funckeys is that (they are
very intuitive to me - ones I can remember for a long time even with
intermittent repeated usage) I simply type the character seqence and the
command executes immeditely.  The way I used to do it for multiple
alpha-mumeric keys was by aliasing them. But I would have to type the
multi characters in the command console followed by a Enter command.

Obviously with this methodology, the usage of simply one or two
alpha-numeric function keys is very limiting to what you can do with
them, and they may not be very intuitive. So I have simply eliminated
from my vocabulary, single alpha-numeric functions (with a few
exceptions, like my layer views).  Again I also have a very limited
assignment of two character functions. Most of my functions are in the
3-4 character sequence, with a few that go to 5 characters. (The Cadence
doumentation I believe said that you could only go up to 4 characters
but that but be an obsolete specification I am remembering because, I am
using a few 5 character functions.

Since we are on the subject matter and the main reason I am here on the
forum today.  Can anyone tell me how they can get the arrow keys to  to
advance only a single grid tick at a time, say while moving a component,
etc. I am just getting back into the Allegro toll flow after a long time
out of production mode and I do not remember that one. The present
behavior of the arrow key seems to advance me  by some larger amount (I
am thinking of some type of roaming command). But maybe someone can just
give me the solution without having to hunt for it.   Thanks.

P.S. - enjoy the function tip if you have never used it that way before.
Just in case you need to de-assign an alpha character

unalias funckey b

unalias funckey d