[PCB_FORUM] Re: X-Keys 20 key, any good?

  • From: "richard moffat" <richard.moffat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 09:54:32 +1200

Hi

This was one of the first things I did in Allegro - set up layer combinations
onto function keys, and later on, X-Keys.  I use the 58 key version - now I
wouldn't work without it.

With X-Keys, I normally run scripts (macros and Skill) through aliases.  I find
it may give a little more control.

Try Skill commands instead of script replays where you can.  They will be
faster.

Examples:

Here's a template of how I named the keys:

#   xk11  xk12  xk13  xk14  xk15  xk16  xk17  xk18  xk19
#   xk110 xk111 xk112 xk113 xk114 xk115 xk116 xk117 xk118

#   xk21  xk22      xk31   xk32   xk33   xk34      xk41  xk42
#   xk23  xk24      xk35   xk36   xk37   xk38      xk43  xk44
#   xk25  xk26      xk39   xk310  xk311  xk312     xk45  xk46
#   xk27  xk28      xk313  xk314  xk315  xk316     xk47  xk48
#   xk29  xk210     xk317  xk318  xk319  xk320     xk49  xk410

Here are a couple of lines from my env files:

alias xk14 replay 'k:'\allegro'\util'\allegro_scripts'\grid_eq_1.scr'
alias xk21 top silk

Expanding on the "Top Silk" bit...

Somewhere along the lines, 'top silk' is registered on boot (could be done in
different places):
axlCmdRegister("top silk" 'top_silk ?cmdType "general")

And what the 'top_silk.il" consists of (loaded on boot as well):

procedure( top_silk()
 axlVisibleDesign(nil)
 axlVisibleLayer("ref des/silkscreen_top" t)
 axlVisibleLayer("package geometry/silkscreen_top" t)
 axlVisibleLayer("board geometry/silk_box_top" t)
 axlVisibleLayer("board geometry/brd_id_silk_top" t)
 axlVisibleLayer("via class/soldermask_top" t)
 axlVisibleLayer("via class/soldermask_bottom" t)
 axlVisibleLayer("pin/soldermask_top" t)
 axlVisibleLayer("board geometry/outline" t)
 axlVisibleLayer("board geometry/silkscreen_top" t)
 axlVisibleLayer("board geometry/soldermask_top" t)
 axlVisibleLayer("package geometry/soldermask_top" t)
 axlVisibleLayer("route keepin/all" t)
 axlVisibleLayer("DRC ERROR CLASS/PACKAGE_TOP" t)
 axlVisibleUpdate(t)
)

Just some more ideas - there's no right or wrong way to set them up.  Hope it
helps.

Cheers,
Richard

__________________________
Richard Moffat
PCB CAD Manager
Allied Telesis Labs
ph. +64 (3) 3393000
richard.moffat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>>> gary.macindoe@xxxxxxx 25/04/2006 8:06 a.m. >>>

Thanks for the response David.  I was mainly wondering if it is worth getting
(easy to set up, reliable etc.). One of the scripts I use is "t.scr" which
turns on only top pads, etch assemblies etc.  I have "replay t" aliased to "t",
so when I type "t", Enter it runs the "t" script.  So, can the X-Key keyboard
be set up to perform both "t" and the Enter?  That would be great to hit one
key and have the script run!  Hmmm, maybe I should think about the 58 key
instead of the 20 key. Sure, I'm always open to ideas for scripts.  I have lots
of them to set up the initial database depending on a standard format (i.e.
pci, lpc, atx, mini itx etc.) and layer count (4, 6, 8, 10).  I also have
several to change views, grids etc.  I just had to bang on all of the set up
scripts for them to manual place format symbols since we went to 15.5. Regards,
Gary E. MacIndoePCB Design EngineerAdvanced Micro DevicesLongmont, Colorado