[PCB_FORUM] Re: Removing unused pad rings on inner layers DURING design...

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:03:09 -0500

Hi Oleg,

> I think during design you do need pads on all layers in order to
> have proper
> DRC.

There is no design requirement to have pads on all layers, only when they
are connected to a trace on a particular layer (outer layers aside).  With
the pad ring removed, the clearance is not trace to pad, but trace to drill
instead.  This gives a lot more routing room between vias.  As I mentioned,
I do this very thing routinely, but with custom pad stacks.  And, as you
note, this is routinely done during fabrication as well, so why can't the
tool do it during design (or can it, and that's my question)?

Regards,

Austin