[PCB_FORUM] Re: Removing unused pad rings on inner layers DURING design...

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 09:48:06 -0500

Hi Carl,

> I'm sure most of you are aware of this but when you talk about
> making a pad size the size of the drill you need to consider that
> pad size as the actual drill bit size not finished drill + the
> standard manufacturing tolerances. Then you would apply that
> minimum clearance to that pad shape.

I think you want to increase the "pad" size larger than the drill size by
that "standard manufacturing tolerance" (for me, that would be 10 mils plus
3 mils) so that you can use the default trace to via clearance.  If you make
the pad the size of the drill, then you have to increase the trace to via
clearance to include this "standard manufacturing tolerance", which would
then apply to every trace to via, not just the ones with the pads "removed".

I agree, that making a via with no "regular" internal pads, and then running
a skill script to add the "regular" pads to places where connections were
made is a great idea, and would make this issue really easy to solve.

Regards,

Austin