[PCB_FORUM] Re: Purge Unused Padstacks

  • From: "Baumstark Michael-EMB043" <M.Baumstark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 16:38:53 -0400

Hi Gary:

I may be a little late in chiming in on this thread but I only review
the ICU forum discussions when I have a break from the hustle and
bustle.

I did not think that I saw it mentioned in the other replies but.... One
of the most important reasons for purging unused padstacks:  is to
ensure that if you ever load any new components into your design, you
will get a fresh image of that padstack information from your
controlling library reference (padpath & psmpath directives).

Recall, that once a (?)symbol or a padstack is loaded into a board file,
that image remains in the board file until intentional action is taken
to update those entities in the board file. This is accomplished by a
variety of directives: Place --> Update symbols (w/ update padstack
option), select as much or as little as you want, OR Refresh padstacks.
(Some new users are not aware that this GUI pick is only found under the
Tools --> Padstack --> Refresh menu  AND not available under the Refresh
symbols GUI.)

If for ANY reason you do not happen to refresh those (unused, then
subsequently used again) padstacks you will be referring to the padstack
information that has been retained in the *.brd file (perhaps since the
inception of the first design spin, x number of revisions ago :) ) . So
there exists some degree of risk, should your librarian modify any of
those padstacks, you could possibly not get those updates from your
master Library. It is a small detail: but the devil is in those details
for flawless execution!

As a general practice we will Refresh ALL symbols AND padstacks in the
design at some point in advance of a Production Release to ensure we are
up to date with the master Library. But after that point in time a
Decision block is encountered to Refresh ALL or not to refresh. The
answer is generally NO, with exceptions being on a very selective basis.
AND yes, we will always purge unused padstacks on every design spin.

So besides getting the lead out of the design, you are also guaranteeing
(by taking that extra step) that you will be getting a fresh library
image when that padstack is used again.

On another note (which may be obsolete by now but): If you are engaging
in the ObjectCAM use model....  Before the last ObjectCAM update there
were some defect issues encountered with the array database file while
reading the one image database. As a SWAG to mitigate these defects, one
of the recommendations (by Cadence) was to Purge unused padstacks, along
with a few other steps. These defects did go away after the ObjectCAM
version 2.0 update so it could be a mute point with current version
tools. But you did ask: and that is what I know.

As with traditional Cadence convention, it takes an intentional action
to refresh database elements. So too, it takes an intentional action to
flush some Unused elements. So I would think that you would want to
flush these items most of the time but I would not want to automatically
do so under all circumstances. Are you now a convert?

Dave Seymour - Concur - Yes, we too are aware that there continues to
persist a Cadence defect where Shape Symbols (*.ssm) files do not
refresh with the Refresh symbols directive. Indeed, the workaround is to
delete the parts that contain *.ssm features, into an unplaced status,
then purge the unused padstacks to remove the image from the *.brd
database, then replace those parts to their original position, as you
stated. Fortunately we do not have that many parts that utilize *.ssm
features, mostly shields. But it is certainly an ongoing and EASY
opportunity for defect, until this deficiency is repaired. We have not
started using the 16.3 tools yet, and I do not recall if the defect has
been repaired yet. I will post back if I find out that this particular
item has been fixed.

Sincerely yours,

Michael Baumstark

Sr. Staff Electrical Engineer / PCB Design, CID+

Motorola - EMS - Worldwide Radio Solutions -
Astro - APTC/Physical Design Organization
8000 West Sunrise Blvd.  Mail Stop: 1329
Plantation, FL USA 33322-9947
Intra: http://rprc.mot.com <http://rprc.mot.com/>   ;
http://pcbadvisor.mot.com <http://pcbadvisor.mot.com/>
web: http://www.motorola.com <http://www.motorola.com/>

Motorola Internal Use                      [      ]
Motorola Confidential Proprietary    [      ]