[PCB_FORUM] Re: Power PCB 5.0.1 data base converter to Allegro

  • From: "jwages" <jwages@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 08:20:12 -0400

Ahh, another poor soul. I have performed this translation several times.
First you must export the PADS files in ascii version 3.5.
In Allegro, just use FILE >> IMPORT >> PADS
Browse and pick the PADS ascii file in the PADS IN window that pops up.
Type in a file name for Options File. You don't have to actually have an
Options Filie
Enter what you want the Output Design name to be.
Once you click on the Run button you will be prompted to map the PADS layers
to Allegro Classes and subclasses.
After it is done running, you will have to open the new Allegro database and
there you are.
You will now have an Allegro database that has components that will be
missing the silkscreen reference designators.
Padstacks that may or may not be correct, but will all be named as PAD1,
PAD2, etc.
The component assembly outlines are sometimes shifted a bit off origin.
We ended up redoing all of the components and padstacks. The un-named nets
will be changed and some may be truncated.
As with all translators, it's a start, but it ain't clean.

Jim S. Wages
SR PCB Layout Designer
H) 919-237-3915 C) 919-484-2963