[PCB_FORUM] Re: Plotting

  • From: "Gary MacIndoe" <gary.macindoe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:38:19 -0600

MessageHey George,

It's good morning now, new day, maybe all will be well (ya think?).  Anyway,
like Gene, I've had trouble trying to figure out exactly what will be
plotted: the preview only shows how it will be plotted with the current
settings.

The first time I had to plot a full ATX motherboard at 2:1, it took trial
and error plotting just the outline.  I was sending it to an HP DesignJet
5000.

So, here are the settings I settled in on:

In Allegro, File -> Setup...
- Scaling factor: (I had 2.00)
- Auto center
- Black and White
- Screen contents

File -> Plot..., click "Setup...", then in the Print Setup window
- choose your plotter
- Paper size to "ANSI D - 22 x x34 in."
- Orientation to "Landscape"
- click "Properties"
- Quality to "Max. Quality"
- Orientation to "Rotate by 90 degrees"
- click "OK" as many times as it takes to send it

The above plotter settings probably will not be exactly the same for you, it
all depends on the plotter and print driver you have.  When I print to the
smaller B size laser printer for smaller designs, I still have to play
around a bit most of the time.  It's all just part of the fun!

Good luck!
Gary E. MacIndoe
PCB Design Engineer
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.