[PCB_FORUM] Missing antipad definition

  • From: "William Billereau" <William.Billereau@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 15:55:53 +0200

Hello.

We use to work in negative mode with split panes and GND planes.
It's the case for more then 90% about our boards.

This week, 2 different jobs made by 2 different designers (made on some
weeks of gap, boards not designers! :-)) have feedback about the same
problem:
One the antipad of a power pad with slot drill is defined as NULL, the
other one the whole Layer 12 for a via_916 (from layer 9 to 16 in a
16layers board) is defined as NULL. (regular pad, thermal and antipad)
So all vias in this layer are connected to copper planes! and then all
planes tied together. :-(((

We guess that in the second case the L12 has been added after the
editing of via_916.
Layers were defined as NULL everywhere in the 8th first layers (1-8) but
ALSO the "Default Internal layer"

Thus, when we inserted the 12th layer.... strange that none seen it but
it happened!

We use to remove thermal relief definition to make direct connection for
vias in negative planes.
This returns a WARNING! we accept and work with it.
It's a WARNING because it can be used like that...

But if you set an ANTIPAD to NULL it's also a simple WARNING!
It should be an ERROR for Cadence/Allegro!! and it must dissallow the
artwork!

Is there something we forgot to avoid this kind of things?
The one I see is to extract pads definition reports and look all the
lines to see if something is wrong (impossible to do "manually")
We can add a end check control and then view all pads definition inside
Allegro... but we have to add another check to check we did not forget
to check the first one ;-)

Is the only solution to work in positive mode?

Thanks.

    William.

PS Subsidiary question: is there a way to check not redunded vias but
almost.
2 vias of the same net are close to same location (1.3mils offset in an
axis) but no DRC. Same net DRCs will produce close to 800 DRCs in this
job.

William Billereau
CERN/TS-DEM
PCB Designer