[PCB_FORUM] Re: Mentor Expediton or Allegro Cadence ?

  • From: Kevin McCowan <kmccowan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 07:53:50 -0400

I have used expedition and allegro. I agree with the
suggestion Gerry has. Try them both if you can.
I believe both tools can handle most if not all
of anything you throw at them. I, of course, am
partial to allegro. I found that allegro always
seems to have multiple ways to solve any problem.
Whether with the design or the software.
Expedition seemed to require me to modify the rules
during the design to keep moving forward. This
posed several problems as stuff that was ok before
now had a new ruleset thrown at it and had to be
locked down to keep it in place.
Allegro has an astounding number of options available
to allow one set of rules to cover all situations.
I have heard some people say it is not very "user
friendly". I never understood why.
Part of the solution is going to be environment based.
Look at all of the problems you need to solve and
pick the tool the does it best at least cost.
If cost is not an issue, I recommend Allegro because
it, in my opinion, has more to offer.

Gerry Meier wrote:
Kesavan,
This is not a question that can be answered without bias. I would suggest you do demo evaluations of both software.
I will make one comment : I have used both Mentor and Cadence tools for many years. In a captive environment it's not as big a deal. If you are going to be importing schematic data from different schematic capture tools (in a service environment) Allegro may have the edge over Expedition.

 Gerry Meier
Sr. PCB Designer
Freedom CAD Services, Inc.
Voice: (603) 864-1300 x1350
Alt. Voice: (386) 753-0048
Email: gerry.meier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
visit our website at<http://www.freedomcad.com <http://www.freedomcad.com/>

> Hi,

I need an information, if someone help me, what is the best, mentor expediton or Allegro Cadence ?

I need to specify and buy a license and Im studying the differences
between these softwares.

Thanks,

Want to post a job listing ? DON'T DO IT HERE! Better yet, join our jobs listing forum.