[PCB_FORUM] Re: Drill charts

  • From: "Douglas Stanley" <dstanley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 14:53:08 -0700

First of all, to create multiple drill charts, we will generate one and
create an IPF of it. We can then read the IPF back in and put it on another
subclass. Then we can generate the next one. Repeat as necessary.

Second, I agree with Tom in the fact that in this day and age, drill charts
are obsolete. Any time that we have a discrepancy between the chart and the
data, the board shop is always told to use the data. I've lobbied (to no
avail) to get rid of them here.

I think the main reasons drill charts remain are:

1. Board shops will quote off the fab drawing only. They need the drill info
to do an accurate quote.

2. Documentation. If a board comes back with missing or mis-sized holes,
it's real easy to point to the drawing and assign liability.

3. That's the way we've always done it.

Douglas G. Stanley
Broadcom Corporation - www.broadcom.com
(949) 926-5889 - voice