[PCB_FORUM] Re: Display pin numbers?

  • From: Mark Salberg <msalberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 07:22:39 -0400

Hello Kevin,
From what I can tell...the Package Geometry/Pin numbers was added in 14.2. But if a board was designed prior to that (even though upreved to a newer version). Allegro uses the database library so that any mods to a component pin, etc...(design specific) would not automatically refresh to remove any mods. Now with a 13.5 file upreved to 15.1 through DB Doctor, pin numbers will not display unless I refresh all. But this would remove any mods made in the past. (Dangerous).

How can I use Allegro to uprev the design library without changing any mods, yet allow pin numbers to display?
As I mentioned, the "board" has been upreved by Allegro 15.1.
I know if I "refresh", Allegro will update any mods back to the default library version.

As Jean mentioned, if I extract...the symbols will overwrite any mods that were made.

We have tech's using the free viewer that would like to see pin numbers displayed on components, but will only work on boards that were designed in 14.2 or later without refreshing.

Thanks for the feedback!
Mark

Kevin McCowan wrote:

If you need to uprev the symbols, why not extract them
and use allegro to uprev them? Then you know they will still
fit as they came from the design and refresh shouldn't
cause any pain. I haven't noticed this problem before,
though. Did they change something so that the pin numbers
now show?

TSI Telsys

Mark Salberg wrote:

Sorry, I failed to mention that the .brd file has been upreved to 15.1.
Mark

Mark Salberg wrote:

Is there a way to display pin numbers on a pre-14.2 .brd file WITHOUT refreshing all parts?

Package Geometry/Pin numbers

Since the board was originally created prior to 14.2, the only parts that display pin numbers are "new parts" that did NOT exist in the original board database library.

If we "refresh all" we would risk unwanted changes to modified components in the database.

However, my gut fell is that this is the only way to get them to display.

Thanks,
Mark

Want to post a job listing ? DON'T DO IT HERE! Better yet, join our jobs listing forum.

Scanned by IBM Email Security Management Services powered by MessageLabs. For more information please visit http://www.ers.ibm.com