[PCB_FORUM] Re: Design a complete layout using mentor schematics and Allegro Layout tool setup

  • From: "Baumstark Michael-EMB043" <M.Baumstark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 18:33:09 -0400

Sathish:

Hey I am not if you have considered this possibility in your bag of
tricks: have you thought about going to layout in Mentor, doing a quick
place in Mentor, then perform a File _import _Mentor using the CDS SI
tool (this runs the mbs2brd) translation from within the Allegro_SI
engine.  From there you will have an uncompleted Layout going on in
Allegro. Of  course if you need to supply Cadence Library footprints,
you could substitute them in an extracted placement file; otherwise you
would be using footprints generated from the Mentor Library. (Obviously
you could have a host of conventional differences (pin numbers/names
etc.) if you need to match up with a Cadence library of footprints.

I haven't really had to deal with this type of conversion before and  I
do not know your exact requirements are. But I have had the similar task
to use a Mentor schematic and mentor layout and then continue the design
in Cadence (no requirement to backannotate to Mentor). Here we did use a
native Cadence schematic capture then meshed the translated layout to
sync up. with the Cadence schematic. It takes a little bit of work to
get done. But this is for a special requirements situation.

Maybe that is a viable solution, depending on which Library footprints
you need to use.

Speaking of using the design compare utility, which I saw  Kumaran M,
reply to you.   I have a question about Design compare utility.  The
other day I was using the Design Compare utility while having a session
of  Allegro open. I had cross probing capability going on. For example,
I could select a reference designator in the Compare list and it would
center up on hte screen in Allegro. I am trying to do this again and my
cross-probing feature is not working. (When I first saw it happening it
was a present surprise.) Now I cannot get it to work again. Does anybosy
have any suggestion to enable cross-probing from Design compare utility
and Allegro Layout?

Sincerely yours,

Michael Baumstark

Staff PCB Designer - BSEE, CID+
Motorola - Advanced Product Technology Center
8000 West Sunrise Blvd.  Mail Stop: 8E8
Plantation, FL USA 33322-9947
Intra: http://rprc.mot.com <http://rprc.mot.com/>   ;
http://pcbadvisor.mot.com <http://pcbadvisor.mot.com/>
web: http://www.motorola.com <http://www.motorola.com/>
--------------^------------------^-----------------^------------------^-
-------------
  >---^-.---                 >---^-.---                    >---^-.---
Motorola Internal Use                      [      ]
Motorola Confidential Proprietary    [      ]

________________________________

        From: "Reade, Sue" <Sue.Reade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
        To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Subject: [PCB_FORUM] Re: Netlist conversion from mentor tool to
Allegro tool
        Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 13:49:47 -0500

        I think you may have more questions in mind, but I'll take the
simple track.
        Allegro reads in .tel files with no problem. 3rd party netlist
        File
        Import
        Logic
        Other
        find your .tel file in the ... button
        run the syntax check only first to make sure your netlist is
structurally sound.
        then select supercede all logical data (this actually means read
the netlist).
        Now for the problems, you will need a config file on the mentor
side so that you translate correctly - this may take some work - talk to
your mentor vendor.
        also you will need to have the .txt files that are created at
the time you run your netlist (these are the devices files) and point to
them through your env file. I have not run designer in a long time but I
think you need to select the option to create them.