[PCB_FORUM] Re: Allegro15.1> rants galore...

  • From: "Gene Carman" <gcarman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:32:30 -0700

How about "buyer beware..."

So they make thousands of CDs with semi-official looking labels and the buyers
snap them up thinking they are getting running software, but also knowing that
the process is less than legit.  When the software installs, yet does not run,
to whom does the buyer complain?  Good chance that the seller has long moved
on, such is the black market.

Gottcha!

Further, the stuff is not exactly home use stuff... it does take both a desire
and certain skills to learn and run it... I rather doubt that there really are
"thousands" of running copies of Allegro out there... AutoCAD probably; MS
Word, hundreds of thousands perhaps...

I am not condoning the practice, just pointing out that the market for PWB
design software is a bit more complex than that for word processing software.

Gene Carman
gcarman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx