Re: [icon-users] ODT format output

  • From: ralph_valmai@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 18:19:20 +0100

In his message Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In his message Mike Hobbs <mike.hobbs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I don't remember this being discussed in recent times and I'm
>> not sure what is planned for future releases, but I would
>> really like to have the ability to export documents in ODT format.
>> Since ODT is basically XML, and XML has a lot of similarity to
>> HTML, which TechWriter can already output, I can't imagine that
>> its too difficult to implement.
>
> It is. The overlap between ODT and HTML is very close to zero, so the
> existing HTML output will not be any help in producing ODT.
>
> Adding ODT output would be a major task. Of course, it would be nice
> to have it but I wonder whether this will really provide substantial
> benefits to users at the moment.
>
> As far as I can see, it would be a hundred times more useful to be
> able to *import* ODT - or OOXML for that matter. You can never have
> too many import formats. Having many export formats is a luxury, in
> particular considering that the target applications that can read ODT
> files can also read Word files (e.g., MSWord, OpenOffice, StarOffice).

I take the point about relative values of export and import
facilities, but limitations in the major export facility (Word) for
TechWriter can make it difficult to continue using it in situations
where files have to be edited by different people, most of whom will
be using Word. The fact that equations created in TW can only be
displayed in Word and not edited (because they are bitmaps) is a
serious limitation in such a context. Ideally the major export
facility should be as complete and as comprehensive as possible. If
not, users will be forced to choose Word more and more frequently.

I appreciate that TechWriter users are probably a minority of the
total EW/TW community, and, from a commercial point of view, it may be
difficult to justify the effort involved in exporting TW equations in
Word Equation format. Nevertheless, it would be great to have it!

Ralph

--

Ralph & Valmai Stevens
In leafy Epping