Re: [icon-users] ODT format output

  • From: Russell Hafter - Lists <rh.lists@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 17:07:51 +0100

On 14 Oct, Mike Hobbs <mike.hobbs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't remember this being discussed in recent times and
> I'm not sure what is planned for future releases, but I
> would really like to have the ability to export documents
> in ODT format. Since ODT is basically XML, and XML has a
> lot of similarity to HTML, which TechWriter can already
> output, I can't imagine that its too difficult to
> implement.

It was discussed a couple of years ago, in that Martin and
Mike put out a survey to see what features we users would
like to see added to EW. As I recall, ODT came pretty low
down the list, in spite of Martin saying that he would like
to see it. I imagine that Martin still has the voting
figures somewhere.

For myself, no one has ever either sent me an ODT document
or even asked if I could accept one, so it is not something
that I, personally, would ask for.

I I did get one, I would just throw it at Open Office, which
gets used for the occasional 15MB+ Word file that I get, and
for the odd occasion when I need to create a Spreadsheet in
XLS format.