Re: [icon-users] Cannot save as PDF

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 17:23:10 +0100

In message <a9a0ad524f.Kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Kevin Wells <kevinwells@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <4f5287f195rh.lists@xxxxxxxxxx>
>           Russell Hafter - Lists <rh.lists@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>On 16 Dec, Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> You seem to have an ancient version of SparkPlug. Simply
>>> use any version that is less than 10 years old and it
>>> will work correctly.
>>
>>I have, and use, version 2.28, October 2002.
>>
>>I have checked for newer versions on occasion, but never
>>seen anything newer.
>
> Inside !Sparkplug is a data file called OPTIONS, shift double click on
> that, and if you see a _ change it into a / and that should stop
> .extensions being turned into _extensions instead of /extensions .

Thanks. That explains why my suggestion of using the default Options
file did indeed solve the problem. So, Russel's Options file seems to
have contained the old "_" setting, which was once SparkPlug's default
extension character. It remains a mystery how that outdated setting
got into Russel's copy of 2.28 because the copy from the web site has
the correct "/" setting and as far as I can see SparkPlug does not
have any user interface for setting the extension character.

Ah, now I see! The "Options" file in the 2.28 download is actually
dated 2005 while version 2.28 itself is dated 2002. So, David Pilling
issued version 2.28 with the old "_" setting in 2005 and reissued it
with the same version number in 2005 with the corrected Options file.
That means that users cannot really find out easily whether they have
a working copy of SparkPlug or not. Just checking the date of the
Options file is not enough since you could have started from the old
pre-2005 version and saved your options in 2006, but you would still
have the outdated "_" setting in your Options file. And since there is
no user interface for setting the extension character that makes it
really difficult to make sure that things are correct. :-(

Martin