[icon-discuss] Re: olympus mikes; last word

  • From: Joe Giovanelli <joegio1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 22:35:24 -0400

Hello, Steve,

I noticed that under some circumstances the vibrator would kick in and not
stop.  I originally
believed that there was an electrical problem in the PDA.  Another party (who I
won't
identify) ran some tests and could not duplicate the runaway problem.

I made tests of my own, as outlined in my message which I think you have quoted
here.
Only the Olympus mike exhibited the problem, which I am sure is attributable
to acoustic pickup between the vibrating PDA and the mike.

At full speed the vibrator produces an audible tone of 250 Hz.  This falls
within
a serious response peak of the Olympus mike.

I found that I could run the record level down to between 15 and 20 and I could
make the
system oscillate as described.

It was a bit more difficult to get the oscillation going at these low recording
levels, but it
was possible.

The internal mike never created this same oscillation, but I thought it might.
I got it just
on the edge of positive feedback but I could not actually get the system to go
into sustained
feedback.

This is not to say that the Olympus mike cannot be used with our units.  It can
if the mike is
not directly plugged into the mike jack.  Olympus thoughtfully provides a cable
which
permits the use of the mike as a lapel mike.

If you use the cable, you'll never have the problem we've been talking about.

I had been fooled for a time to be sure, but finally got to the heart of the
matter.  It comes
down to basic physics I guess.

Just to be sure to cover all bases, the Olympus mike has a much higher output
level
than our internal mikes.  It would be a project to actually measure the output
of that
mike, and, of course, there's no way to measure the output voltage of the
internal mike.
We'd need a sound source of known SPL and we'd that same SPL for both mikes.
I'll gladly leave that to others.

I believe that we can be absolutely certain that the runaway vibrator can be
explained as
I have outlined.

If we want to be very scientific (and I don't), anyone who has one of the
Olympus
mikes can easily duplicate my tests.

I'm not at all sure that conducting these experiments might eventually damage
our units because
we're doubtless saturating the whole recording chain and we don't know how
delicate the
system is when subjected to this kind of stress.

Joe G.