[icon-discuss] Re: braille plus and e-mail

  • From: "susan l. gerhart" <slger123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: richkar1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
  • Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 08:36:56 -0700

richard,

this is not a problem with your email but rather with the mailing list
software.
this happens to me on one mailing list where others also have the same problem.
The  mailing list software has not been updated with filters to handle
messages with  character encoding coming from Linux, the base for our PDA. The
only way i have found is to write the message on my Icon, mail to myself, log
on to a PC and copy the message to send to the mailing list.  Or write directly
from the PC. yes, this requires multiple mail  systems just for one deficient
mailing list.

You should complain to the mail list provider, but many  mailing list systems
have been customized and their owners do not know how to add the necessary
filters. This is a big problem with the  mailing list referenced above, causing
many garbled posts and annoyance.

Levelstar and APH might mention this in the documentation or respond so others
can find a recommendation by searching the freelists.org archive.

Please let me add that many questions can be answered bya query using like
"icon-discuss freelists email". Messages from Michael, jenny, and Pamela are
authoritative. Many members also have good answers, but then some are just as
confused as you.  I don't know if there is any other archive of 1000s of useful
messages over  the past year.

Hope this helps.

susan